Atmega168 in standalone mode -please help

Hello there,

I am new to electronics and have just started to use arduino so bare with me please!

I am trying to run arduino atmega168 in standalone mode ie connected to a battery to run an led. Ive connected the positive and negative to pin 7 and 8 ie vcc and gnd. Ive connected them to 2 cr3032 coin cell batteries each 3 volts. I also connected a led to pin 17 ie digital pin 11 on the arduino. Nothing seems to be working however! What am I doing wrong?. Any help would be appreciated.

(deleted)

You need to connect the other Gnd pin and AVDD also. (Assuming you didn't fry the chip with the 6V)

How were the fuses set, and how was the chip programmed?

CrossRoads:
You need to connect the other Gnd pin and AVDD also.
(Assuming you didn’t fry the chip with the 6V)

How were the fuses set, and how was the chip programmed?

Please forgive my ignorance but is that the other gnd pin to negative and adcc to positive?
in other words both gnd pins to negative and the avcc and vcc to positive and then it should work?

Yes; depending on how it is fused/programmed.

If you've popped the chip out of the Arduino board (as I suspect you may have done, given the edge of the board and that screwdriver in your picture), you will also need to have an external 16MHz crystal with appropriate load capacitors, and a pull-up resistor to pin 1 (the !Reset pin) for the chip to start running code.