Atmega2560 standalone power supply problem

hi im using a Atmega2560 standalone and for tho power supply I use the ams1117 for 5V, the problem is
when I power the Atmega always destroy it and a I see a smoke from Atmega, plz can you help me to find the problem.

hi im using a Atmega2560 standalone and for tho power supply I use the ams1117 for 5V, the problem is
when I power the Atmega always destroy it and a I see a smoke from Atmega, plz can you help me to find the problem.

Maybe schematics will help. What are these two components from crystal to GND? Resistors? Look like resistors but if yes then it is wrong. They should be capacitors.

BTW: Nice smoke marks. :slight_smile: Enjoy a karma for courage.

Check the voltage on regulator. Is there 5V? Check the power pads for 2560, all VCC an GND.
Regulator doesn't look good soldered. Bottom leg is suspicious.

Another topic about same problem. Read forum rules! >:(

Amine1994:

There is most likley a problem with the way you have connected it all up.

Either the schematic itself is wrong or you have translated the schematic into the PCB incorrectly or there is a problem with the way the PCB was wired up.

Amine1994:

A hint incidently, best to show a picture of the entire PCB, the problem could be somewhere other than the bit of the PCB you have shown us.

Duplicate topics merged

Why did you start a second one ?

thanx for your help the problem was the soldering paste

As a bit of general advice for reliability when making boards with high pincount, fine pitch parts, or complicated designs in general - consider just paying to have one of the major board houses manufacture it for you. Because they have nice surface treatment and soldermask (and nice plated through holes, too), they're a lot easier to solder consistently and less prone to failures like that. Like, $25 for 10 copies of a 4x4" board is pretty cheap...

I find it hard to justify the time it takes to make boards at home, compared to just getting them made professionally, especially considering