ATMEGA328 bricked .. Request support

Hi,

I wanted to run ATMEGA328 in low power. I tried programming optiboot 1Mhz 9600bps bootloader with fuse bits set to 128Khz. when i tried to burn the bootloader using usbasp, it started to write the fuse bits but stopped to burn the bootloader. I bricked 2 ICs. Request support to find the mistake it board file or error message… And also how t recover my ICs back to working state.

Will attach the error message

board file:
apm96.name=APM Optiboot internal 128KHz noBOD 1200baud

apm96.upload.tool=avrdude
apm96.upload.protocol=arduino
apm96.upload.maximum_size=32256
apm96.upload.speed=1200
apm96.bootloader.tool=avrdude
apm96.bootloader.low_fuses=0xd3
apm96.bootloader.high_fuses=0xde
apm96.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x07
apm96.bootloader.path=optiboot_v50
apm96.bootloader.file=atmega328_1a.hex
apm96.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
apm96.bootloader.lock_bits=0x2F
apm96.build.mcu=atmega328p
apm96.build.f_cpu=1000000L
apm96.build.core=arduino
apm96.build.variant=standard

Fuse_Error.txt (8.14 KB)

It may be working fine at 128kHz. The SPI clock you use for ISP programming has to be (at most) some fraction of the CPU clock rate, so if you successfully set it to 128kHz, you may have to slow down the clock rate of your ISP programmer a great deal if you want to continue to talk to it.

This is the -B xxx.xxx parameter to avrdude, but I don't know if USBASP programmers uniformly support it.

Hi Westfw,

Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, looks it is working fine. I am able to reprogram through usbasp by lowering the clock speed. Usbasp has a jumper which can be used to lower the ISP clock.

I was able to use the ATMEGA328 and also it is now running at lower power at 125KHz.

Thank you for your timely suggestion and it helped me a lot.

Regards, sthiru

Usbasp has a jumper which can be used to lower the ISP clock.

Thanks for the confirmation, and for the additional details on exactly how to do this on the (or "a", anyway) USBASP...