ATMEGA328-PU in an Arduino Uno questions

Hi all!

I have an ATMEGA328-PU that I bought from Digikey. I was planning on programming it by replacing the 28 pin dip microcontroller in my Arduino UNO R3 board. It's not working, as I guess I am trying to fit a square peg in a round hole...... It's wrong chip to work in an UNO.

So how can I burn the bootloader on this chip and upload code to it?

Yes, I have seen a lot of tutorials on the subject. Breadboard the chip, hook up wires to an UNO, and burn the bootloader from the Arduino IDE. I've also wasted a lot of time following bad tutorials, or ones that didn't address my specific problem.

Can someone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks,
Randy

http://www.gammon.com.au/breadboard

You can replace the ATmega328P-PU in Uno's socket and use the ICSP connector to burn the bootloader.
See the Uno bootloader rewrite page.

As a side note;

EDIT

Veil it to prevent confusion from my misunderstandings.

I'm sorry if I may be misunderstood but...

If it means this, it's the correct socket.
It pushes a flat leg into a round hole.
(Maybe the IC pin is a little wider, so you need to bend it a little inward)

You will need a programmer to program the bootloader. After that you can upload sketches using the USB connection. See post #2.

Note that a 328 is not the same as a 328P (which is the micro on the Uno).

I'm not native English speaking, but I'm reasonably sure that it's a saying meaning "trying to achive the impossible".

@sterretje
Thanks so much for that explain. I got it! :laughing:
I use google translate, and translators don't understand slang and proverbs, so I often read cryptic posts and tend to be difficult to decipher.
Sometimes I post useless posts, but I try to post as much as possible.
I'm sorry if that creates confusion. :cry:

Hi everyone and thanks!

I tried this method:

And it didn't work. I got an error message that it wasn't recognizing the chip. It came back as ATmega328, not a ATmega328P.....

Following @LarryD link, I was able to get it programmed. Using that method, it came back also as a ATmega328. My Digikey invoice states they shipped me a ATmega328-PU, yet the chip is marked ATmega328. So I don't know what the issue is, but Nick Gammon's programming tools got it up and running.

Big thank you to everyone!
Randy

As @sterretje says, the 328-PU and 328P-PU are different products.
Of course, the signature is also different.
Uno is using 328P-PU.