Atmega328p minimal on breadboard - problem with ftdi (bootloader type selection)

Hi,

I have atmega 328p with MHz oscillator on breadboard. I want to power it with 3.3V.
Which bootloader should I upload to it? I thought basically it does not matter and I tried Arduino Nano bootloader. I also tried Optibood Nano or Duemilanove. Basically it works. But when I connect FTDI to the breadboard, I am not able to upload ani sketch. There is error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

I tried uploading Arduino Pro or Pro Mini bootloader as well and using this one I am able to upload sketches with FTDI.

Can anybody explain this to me? Why such behaviour? And which bootloader should one choose when building custom atmega328p board (minimal setup, 8mhz oscillator, 3.3V)

I'd go with the 3.3V, 8MHz Promini board type.
You have a 0.1uF cap between DTR and Reset, with 10K pullup from Reset to 3.3V?

CrossRoads:
I'd go with the 3.3V, 8MHz Promini board type.
You have a 0.1uF cap between DTR and Reset, with 10K pullup from Reset to 3.3V?

I have 0.1uF cap between DTR and Reset, I have also 10k pullup resistor from Reset to 3.3V.
ProMini 8MHz, 3.3V bootloader works for me. I am able to burn it and later to upload sketches with FTDI. So I used this one.

But I was curious what is the difference between Nano bootloader and Pro Mini and why I am not able to upload sketches via FTDI with Nano bootloader.