ATMEGA328P-PU price is creeping up again

This only concerns those that use ATMEGA328P-PU in their project by larger quantity.

I wonder if I should start charting their prices from now on. In March, I bought over 100 of them at $1.84 each. Now (12/29/14) they are $2.35 each at the same price break. I imagine all price breaks are affected. So if you are purchasing more than a dozen of these chips, maybe you should wait for the $1.8 USD pricing?!

| Date | Vendor | Price (1) | Price (10) | Price (25) | Price (100) | | - | - | - | - | - | - | | 12/18/2011 | Mouser | $ - | $ - | $ 3.05 | $ - | | 2/17/2012 | Mouser | $ - | $ - | $ - | $ 2.85 | | 10/14/2012 | Mouser | $ - | $ - | $ - | $ 1.76 | | 5/12/2013 | Mouser | $ - | $ - | $ - | $ 1.76 | | 3/3/2014 | Mouser | $ - | $ - | $ - | $ 1.84 | | 12/29/2014 | Mouser | $ 3.55 | $ 3.13 | $ 2.93 | $ 2.35 | | 12/29/2014 | Newark | $ 3.38 | $ 2.97 | $ 2.80 | $ 2.24 | | 12/29/2014 | Digikey | $ 3.74 | $ 3.34 | $ 3.34 | $ 2.74 |

I only bought at the wrong price once, in 2012 :)

And you dont even have to deal with money exchange (I guess). In my country dollar got expensive this year (as in 2008).

No. No currency exchange in my case. Everything was listed and purchased in USD. USD should be declining, but that depends on whether your country/region has its currency also declining, but faster. EUR seems to be doing just that.

Ah well, just to make you feel better, Australia went down the plughole over the last couple of months - all that junk from China is now 20% more expensive. :-[

Seems all that red dirt and dirty coal we sold so cheap is not in so great a demand now so it is even cheaper and since we don't actually make anything much ...

If you guys make stuff, that would be really good to sell internationally if your currency goes down a bit. I suspect the US is behind jacking up Chinese RMB so they will have harder time selling to other countries. Anyway, currency war is pure display of political/military/economic power. :smiling_imp:

100pcs ATmega328P-PUs are currently about $1.6 each on ebay.

I've ordered two batches of ten 328s in the pasts and have had no problems so far (knocks on wood), so I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with 328s from China/Hong Kong?

Paul__B: all that junk from China is now 20% more expensive.

I am convinced Chinese prices will rise steadily until things are as expensive as if they were made in Australia or the UK or wherever. But those other countries will no longer have the manufacturing capability with which to compete.

We have just been living in a fools paradise pretending to ourselves that we had low inflation just by importing cheaper stuff and shifting work from manufacturing to McDonalds.

...R

The Raspberry Pi is cheaper to make in the UK than it is to make it in China.

ChilliTronix: The Raspberry Pi is cheaper to make in the UK than it is to make it in China.

Albeit all the parts come from China.

Albeit all the parts come from China.

Bullshit. Parts are made all over the world. I posted last week from the Atmel website that they have many manufacturing plants, a couple in China, the vast majority not. Other companies do the same as well.

Actually

Paul__B: Albeit all the parts come from China.

Actually I suspect the components are made in many places in the far east. It seems that components are manufactured where governments give tax breaks in part, though the Samsung processor (that probably relies on a core designed in Cambridge) is actually made in a fab plant in Austin.

PetriH: 100pcs ATmega328P-PUs are currently about $1.6 each on ebay.

I've ordered two batches of ten 328s in the pasts and have had no problems so far (knocks on wood), so I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with 328s from China/Hong Kong?

Yeah, I can't try that with my quantity. If something goes wrong, it's a lot of headache to fix. For a dozen or so just to do my own project, I could go for ebay chips. Lots of FTDI chips on the arduino nano that I got from ebay or the like are fakes.

I think the smaller components up to some MCUs are most likely made all in China. The larger chips are made in Malay or other Southeast Asian countries where the US has strong military and economical grips over. If I were presiding a big company based in US or EU, I would not want China or India to have my technology.

RPI is a very simple board considering similar chips or faster ones are found in smartphones with more sophisticated designs. I'm sure China manufactures those in huge quantity. No wonder about saving money making RPI in China. Apply knows it. If they (RPI) make it in Ireland, they probably save money from making in UK but who knows. They may not want to.