Atmega328P Standalone Error

I am unable to load a sketch onto my standalone atmega and am not able to find anywhere online that tells me how to setup the IDE.

Board
Serial Port
Programmer

Currently im receiving the error avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

How is the standalone system connected to the PC ?

through usb

What, exactly, does the standalone system consist of ? Is there an FTDI converter in the circuit ?

I am using an FTDI. When i select upload i see the light on the FTDI flash but nothing on the chip changes. I havet the reset with a 10 k pullup resistor and DTR from FTDI leading to a cap thats also on the same line as the reset

I have used an FTDI converter to program an Arduino with no problem. Just select the appropriate port and board and leave the programmer as AVRISP mkII

One thing that you could try is resetting the 328 when you see the "uploading" message in the IDE.

A thought. Has the 328 got a bootloader on it ?

ok i got it to work. I found out that if i remove the 10k resistor from pin 1 to vcc it loads just fine. Do i have i have to use the 10k pull up? It works perfect without it.

My settings are:

Board: Arduino Uno
Serial port: /dev/tty.usbserial-A600KN7Z
Programmer: any selection works

Thank You

I have used this breadboard tutorial successfully several times.

...R

Anybody know why when i removed the 10k pull up resistor to pin 1 reset it was able to load my sketch? Do i have to keep it? I'm guessing yes so when i finally build a project the test pin doesn’t go low and reset.

Also, on the IDE i can select Any option for programmer and it still loads just fine.

roybenmo:
I am using an FTDI. When i select upload i see the light on the FTDI flash but nothing on the chip changes. I havet the reset with a 10 k pullup resistor and DTR from FTDI leading to a cap thats also on the same line as the reset

How is the cap wired? Is it between DTR and the reset pin? You can't omit a pullup on the reset line, for obvious reasons.

Yes

What value cap?

22pF

roybenmo:
22pF

Incorrect. Much too small. It should be a 0.1uF

Ok i will change it out and test it with 10k resistor to vcc. How does the cap work in the reset circuit?

roybenmo:
Ok i will change it out and test it with 10k resistor to vcc. How does the cap work in the reset circuit?

It works great. :slight_smile:

But seriously, it creates a short reset pulse when serial is connected.

Couldn't find .1uF so used 10uF and 10k resistor to vcc. Works now. Thank you for your help.

What does the programmer option do in the ide? I was able to select different one's and they all alow me to upload my sketch

roybenmo:
Couldn't find .1uF so used 10uF and 10k resistor to vcc. Works now. Thank you for your help.

What does the programmer option do in the ide? I was able to select different one's and they all alow me to upload my sketch

It's for programmers that connect to the 6 pin ICP connector on the board. Those connect to the SPI pins. I use a usbASP for example.

If you connect a programmer to the ICSP pins - SCK, MOSI, MISO, Reset, Vcc, Gnd - then the programmer can burn a bootloader and set fuses, and also upload a program while overriding the bootloader.

I use Atmel AVR ISP MKii, or my standalone programmer to load a sketch from SD card without needing a PC:
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/

I will change the cap out to a .1uF to save room but if i wanted to can i leave the 10uF?