atmega32u4 OS presented devices

I am using the Lilypad USB bootloader on a 32u4 board/badge ( Details here and here ) as a HID / Keyboard device, and if possible, I would like the device to ONLY present itself to the OS as a HID keyboard.

Right now, it presents it self to Windows 7 as three devices:

• a HID device
  • a keyboard
  • a Lilypad USB

The first two devices show up and work fine, but the last one is what is causing me some trouble. On the system I am trying to use this with, I don't have the ability to install the needed drivers for the Lilypad USB, and I don't need/want to. For my purposes, it only needs to be a keyboard.

Currently, when being plugged into a windows 7 machine without the driver for that last device, it often (but not everytime) causes the 32u4 to hang, preventing my program from running properly (displaying a menu on the LCD of the badge). If I keep resetting the board, maybe 1 time in 10 it will run properly. The other ~9 times it just displays a full black screen and hangs.

Is it possible to prevent the 32u4 from presenting that last Lilypad USB device to the OS? The board currently has it's HWB pin tied to ground via a 2.2K resistor. Is there another bootloader or fuse setting or HWB pin function I can use to make this just show up as a keyboard? I'd stil like the ability to program it via USB, perhaps with a jumper added to HWB?

Any thoughts / suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

I don't think you can, USB functionality is provided by the 32u4.
There might be something in the datasheet though, did you check it out?

For my purposes, it only needs to be a keyboard.

Didn't you say that you were using the bootloader? I don't think you can bootload over just the keyboard/HID interface.

when being plugged into a windows 7 machine without the driver for that last device, it often causes the 32u4 to hang,

That might be a fixable bug...

westfw:
Didn't you say that you were using the bootloader? I don't think you can bootload over just the keyboard/HID interface.

Understood, but I was hoping I could use the HWB pin on a switch or jumper to enable / disable the bootloader, so that when disabled, it would only show up as a keyboard. I'm not exactly sure how that HWB pin can be used, other than the fact that it is labeled "USB_BOOT" on this badge and tried to GND via a resistor.

westfw:
That might be a fixable bug...

That would be fantastic, tell me more!