ATMEGA32u4 RC variant programming issue

Hi all,

I have made a custom board using ATMEGA32u4 and everything works perfect. Recently, due to chip shortage and the availability of ATMEGA32u4-RC, I bought a few to put in my boards as a replacement. The problem is, after programming it for the first time, it doesn't program anymore.
it says the following:

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: stk500v2_program_enable(): bad AVRISPmkII connection status: Unknown status 0x00
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

Also, when I programmed it for the first time, it wasn't able to recognize the COM ports (which it always recognizes with a ATMEGA32u4).

Now, I have read the datasheet and know this type works with internal oscillator. But, I'm wondering, if there is a way to program them ? Any tricks /suggestions?
There's absolutely nothing on the internet.

Thanks,

Did you ever resolve this issue? I’m in a similar situation, I can only get the RC chips now. Using the non RC chips I bootload the atmega using Arduino as isp, is that what you are do?

This is only the standard oscillator on delivery. By setting the according fuses, its also possible to select an external oscillator as is the default for the ATMEGA32u4.

As above, change the fuse settings to use the external oscillator:

Thanks for the reply. I knew I had to change the fuse settings. Problem is, I'm a newbie and don't know how to change the fuse settings in Arduino. I know there's a way to burn fuses in Atmel studio interface but not in Arduino. Would be grateful if you give an example.

Depends on your system. Search for "arduino set AVR fuses" for many discussions.

Thanks for the help.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.