Atmega8 Messed up after Using Arduino

Hello all,
So, I just got a couple Atmega8 in the mail and wanted to upload some test code. Well first thing I did was check the signature and fuse states in avr. All good. So then I went in to the arduino software to see if I could upload the arduino bootloader. I made sure to select the atmega8 in the board section and attempted to upload the bootloader. It threw an initialization failure exception. I tried checking the state in avr and now avr is giving the same error. Any ideas on what could have caused this? Would I be able to correct the chip?

scotte2718:
I made sure to select the atmega8 in the board section

Do you have a 3rd party hardware package installed that supports ATmega8?

Do you have a crystal attached?

scotte2718:
It threw an initialization failure exception.

Post the full output when you try to burn bootloader in the Arduino IDE. Please use code tags(</> button).

pert:
Do you have a 3rd party hardware package installed that supports ATmega8?

I am using the stock hardware package included with Arduino software

pert:
Do you have a crystal attached?

No, I do not have a crystal attached. I just have it directly connected to my avr programmer and nothing else.

pert:
Post the full output when you try to burn bootloader in the Arduino IDE. Please use code tags(</> button).

Here is the output

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
        Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
        this check.

scotte2718:
I am using the stock hardware package included with Arduino software

What board do you have selected in Tools > Board?

Try doing Tools > Preferences > Show verbose output during upload and then if there is more output when you do Burn Bootloader post it here.

I'm not one of the resident experts in figuring these sorts of issues out so I may not be able to provide a solution but at least I hope to help you provide sufficient information to get your chip working.

The board I have selected is the Arduino NGor older/atmega8. Here is the verbose output.

/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude -C/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega8 -cusbtiny -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uhfuse:w:0xca:m -Ulfuse:w:0xdf:m 

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Oct 21 2013 at 15:55:32
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/home/scott/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : usbtiny
avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found USBtinyISP, bus:device: 001:007
         AVR Part                      : ATmega8
         Chip Erase delay              : 10000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom         4    20   128    0 no        512    4      0  9000  9000 0xff 0xff
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           flash         33    10    64    0 yes      8192   64    128  4500  4500 0xff 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  2000  2000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  2000  2000 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  2000  2000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          4    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : USBtiny
         Description     : USBtiny simple USB programmer, http://www.ladyada.net/make/usbtinyisp/
avrdude: programmer operation not supported

avrdude: Using SCK period of 10 usec
CMD: [ac 53 00 00] [ac 53 00 00]
CMD: [ac 53 00 00] [ff ff ff ff]
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

I think the problem is that since the Arduino NG has an external 16MHz crystal the low fuse setting burned when you did the first Burn Bootloader configured your chip to use an external crystal so this "bricked" your chip but not to worry, you can fix it by connecting an external clock source and then do Burn Bootloader again with the low fuse changed to, for example, 0xE4 if you wanted to use the internal RC oscillatory at 8 MHz. You could do this by connecting a crystal or I think you can use another Arduino as a clock source. There is some information on this in the Chip not detected section of Gammon Forum : Electronics : Microprocessors : How to make an Arduino-compatible minimal board.

scotte2718:
I just have it directly connected to my avr programmer and nothing else

I think you should be using decoupling capacitors and a reset pin pull-up resistor though you might be able to get away without it's just more potential causes of problems.

Just got around to testing it. That was the problem. Appreciate the help.