Atmega8 uploading Error

following this : http://todbot.com/blog/2009/05/26/minimal-arduino-with-atmega8/comment-page-5/

I have burned the bootloader to the atmega8 chips, and when trying to upload a sketch to it using my USB-TTL, I got this error.

In file included from Blink.ino:10:
D:\My Apps\arduino-1.0.5\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:213:26: error: pins_arduino.h: No such file or directory

Make the modifications shown in red in the boards.txt file where you added the new atmega8 board.

atmega8noxtal.name=ATmega8-noxtal @8MHz

atmega8noxtal.upload.protocol=stk500
atmega8noxtal.upload.maximum_size=7168
atmega8noxtal.upload.speed=38400

atmega8noxtal.bootloader.low_fuses=0xe4
atmega8noxtal.bootloader.high_fuses=0xc4
atmega8noxtal.bootloader.path=atmega8_noxtal
atmega8noxtal.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT.hex
atmega8noxtal.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
atmega8noxtal.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F

atmega8noxtal.build.mcu=atmega8
atmega8noxtal.build.f_cpu=8000000L
atmega8noxtal.build.core=[color=red]arduino:[/color]arduino
[color=red]atmega8noxtal.build.variant=arduino:standard[/color]

This is required of later (post-leonardo) IDE versions (when "variants" were introduced.)

westfw: Make the modifications shown in red in the boards.txt file where you added the new atmega8 board.

atmega8noxtal.name=ATmega8-noxtal @8MHz

atmega8noxtal.upload.protocol=stk500 atmega8noxtal.upload.maximum_size=7168 atmega8noxtal.upload.speed=38400

atmega8noxtal.bootloader.low_fuses=0xe4 atmega8noxtal.bootloader.high_fuses=0xc4 atmega8noxtal.bootloader.path=atmega8_noxtal atmega8noxtal.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT.hex atmega8noxtal.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F atmega8noxtal.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F

atmega8noxtal.build.mcu=atmega8 atmega8noxtal.build.f_cpu=8000000L atmega8noxtal.build.core=[color=red]arduino:[/color]arduino [color=red]atmega8noxtal.build.variant=arduino:standard[/color]

This is required of later (post-leonardo) IDE versions (when "variants" were introduced.)

thank you. It has solved the first upload error, but gives me a new one. I know this means my pc is not com. with my m8, but I have doubled check the lines already. did that hold the button to reset and released it when uploading many times.

Binary sketch size: 914 bytes (of a 7,168 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

atmega8noxtal.upload.protocol=stk500 atmega8noxtal.upload.maximum_size=7168 atmega8noxtal.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT.hex atmega8noxtal.upload.speed=38400

How confident are you that you have the correct bootloader loader and settings? According to the official boards.txt, the older Atmega8 boards ("NG", for example) used 19200bps when running atmegaboot, and that was at 16MHz... And with a modern avrdude, you should probably use "upload.protocol=arduino"

You could put optiboot on your mega8. At 8MHz you should only run 57600, but it'll still be faster, save you 512 bytes of sketch space and be "under maintenance"...

westfw:

atmega8noxtal.upload.protocol=stk500 atmega8noxtal.upload.maximum_size=7168 atmega8noxtal.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT.hex atmega8noxtal.upload.speed=38400

How confident are you that you have the correct bootloader loader and settings? According to the official boards.txt, the older Atmega8 boards ("NG", for example) used 19200bps when running atmegaboot, and that was at 16MHz... And with a modern avrdude, you should probably use "upload.protocol=arduino"

You could put optiboot on your mega8. At 8MHz you should only run 57600, but it'll still be faster, save you 512 bytes of sketch space and be "under maintenance"...

it said something like burning is done. that is all I know. I am a total noob. Spend 5 hours and getting nowhere. thank you for all your help. I think I just throw this chip away and get some 328.

What hardware are you using to burn the bootloader?