ATMega8a Bootloader

Hello

Recently i bought ATMega8a Chip and tried to use it instead of the current AVR of my Arduino UNO Board.

Using "optiboot" i burnt the bootloader to this AVR successfully on the breadboard, but i saw in the serial monitor that he has detected "ATMega8" (Not "ATMega8a")

after that i put the "ATMega8a" chip in the arduino board to programming it.

i tried the Blink example but no results , it say "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00". and the led of pin 13 not blinking :(

How can i solve this problem? anyone know how to burn the Bootloader on it

Thank You.

I have to manually reset to upload to my mega8s. Wait until the IDE says "Uploading" and immediately press and release the reset for about 1/4 to 1/2 a second.

The same error:
“avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00”

I don't know if you can program a mega 8 in a Uno board with USB. Maybe someone else does. It takes a bit of practice to reset manually though. Have you tried several times?

pegwatcher: Have you tried several times?

YUP

but Is that results mean i burnt the bootloader successfully ?

????

UP

Sadly working with the mega8 is more of an hassle than anything else.

On my case I just forgot the serial interface and got myself a USBasp programmer.

This is because different atmega8 bootloaders work at different baud speeds. You need to figure out what the actual speed is on your bootloader and set up the boards.txt file with the right information. Even worse, if the bootloader is not the same a change in the fuse settings and/or available memory (for the sketch) may need to be updated for correct operation.

CS

This is because different atmega8 bootloaders work at different baud speeds. ... Even worse, if the bootloader is not the same a change in the fuse settings and/or available memory may need to be updated for correct operation.

To be fair, this is true of the m328 as well, but there are fewer bootloaders "in common use", and all of them are at least some-what supported by someone. Mega8 bootloaders are more of a "find one you like and make it work" thing.

Try this ..........

http://nirzaree.wordpress.com/2012/03/07/make-a-standalone-atmega8-circuit/

it worked for me ! :fearful: