Atmel AT29C010A 12PC 9738 ?

I've told my brother to get me a microcontroller as so called the Atmel brand Atmega 8bits, but this is what he got me lol Atmel AT29C010A 12PC 9738 and am wondering what that even is and if it's that useful of an Ic/Microcontroller? he also brought me other components he said he got from a mobo and some from the part shop.

CHAOS-THEORY: I've told my brother to get me a microcontroller as so called the Atmel brand Atmega 8bits, but this is what he got me lol Atmel AT29C010A 12PC 9738 and am wondering what that even is and if it's that useful of an Ic/Microcontroller? he also brought me other components he said he got from a mobo and some from the part shop.

That's a 128x8 bit flash memory. http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Atmel%20PDFs/AT29C010A.pdf

If it came from a PC motherboarrd it was probably what's commonly called the 'CMOS memory,' that remembers user programmable board variables.

It's very useful, but no, it's not a microcontroller by itself.

emmm CMOS so that's where the bios is stored, useless to me. but useful to other mobos

CHAOS-THEORY: emmm CMOS so that's where the bios is stored, useless to me. but useful to other mobos

It's a 'generic' memory chip. There's nothing 'bios-specific' about it. The datasheet says 'CMOS and TTL Compatible Inputs and Outputs.'

I said CMOS because it came from a MB and in consumer-speak is typically called 'the CMOS' regardless of what the actual technology is.

It's probably obsolete - Digikey offers 25 items of various speeds and packages, but none of any type in stock. The 9738 is probably a date code (week 38 of 1997.)

It's useful in any memory application. If it was removed carefully from the MB it maybe-to-probably still works. You can plug it into any Arduino and have 128kx8 of local volatile memory. That's 128K not M so no it can't hold more than a fraction of a second of audio or -one- color pic larger than about 1"x1". :) 128K is 4x standard Uno so for other kinds of data processing that's a -lot- of space. But uses up a lot of Uno pins. It would increase a Mega2560 by 50%, useful if you need it, and 2560 has lots more IO pins.