ATMEL ATTINY13A-PU MCU

Can this MCU be programmed with the Arduino programming environment? Does it have an on board clock crystal so I can later run it by itself?

Thank You

http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/ArduinoOnOtherAtmelChips Yes the chip has an internal oscillator so no need for external resonator/crystal.

There is a third-party arduino core for this uC and it can be used with the arduino ide via the upload using programmer command. The list of supported functions is short and that 1k of flash fills up fast with the bloat of the arduino support but you can do very basic things with it.

You have a bit more available space for code using AVR Studio as your development environment.

evildave_666:
There is a third-party arduino core for this uC

see here → ATTINY13A CORES

and it can be used with the arduino ide via the upload using programmer command. The list of supported functions is short and that 1k of flash fills up fast with the bloat of the arduino support but you can do very basic things with it.

Basic ?? If you code very carefully you can do some amazing things with it, I have written two amazing projects for the ATTiny13A - One to receive DMX512 protocol at 250kbps and convert the data to drive WS2812 RGB leds - And another project to drive 40*40 pixel VGA projector/monitor in 8 colours…

mcnobby: see here -> ATTINY13A CORES

Basic ?? If you code very carefully you can do some amazing things with it, I have written two amazing projects for the ATTiny13A - One to receive DMX512 protocol at 250kbps and convert the data to drive WS2812 RGB leds - And another project to drive 40*40 pixel VGA projector/monitor in 8 colours...

Half of your programs are assembler, and the other half are reading and writing directly to/from registers. How is this Arduino, aren't you actively avoiding arduino function calls? They'd probably compile directly with minimal changes in AVR Studio.

Thank You all for your help. This is what I was looking for. only want to use it to PWM 3 LED's for the rotating color effect. That is all. I'm sure "AT Tiny" is up for it :)

Note that ATTiny13 only has 2 hardware PWM pins (PB0/PB1) so you'll need to do it in software.

evildave_666:
Half of your programs are assembler, and the other half are reading and writing directly to/from registers. How is this Arduino, aren’t you actively avoiding arduino function calls? They’d probably compile directly with minimal changes in AVR Studio.

Point taken :slight_smile:

jarrod0987: Thank You all for your help. This is what I was looking for. only want to use it to PWM 3 LED's for the rotating color effect. That is all. I'm sure "AT Tiny" is up for it :)

The tiny85 will do this okay as with the right arduino core you have 3 PWM outputs. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=134827.0