Atmel Flip usb driver install arduino mega

Hi,

I am using atmel flip to update the firmware of my Mega’s microcontroller, but when I try to install the atmel driver in C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Flip 3.4.7\usb from the Windows Vista Device Manager, it says that there are no drivers in that folder. How do I do this right?

Thanks in advance,

rainy_day

How has this been read 17 times, and nobody has an answer

25 now. This forum is very helpful.

Some are bots, and others (e.g. like me) have no idea what you are talking about (e.g. what is a "atmel flip").

http://www.microchip.com/wwwappnotes/appnotes.aspx?appnote=en591717 This application note from Atmel could help.

rainy_day:
25 now. This forum is very helpful.

25 whole webcrawlers, ok and maybe a few real people who didn’t have a clue what your vague question was getting on about. And rather than add any additional information to try to get an answer faster, you start bitching about the people who are here as free volunteers. Way to make friends there cupcake.

Why don’t you define what some of those things are and bring us up to speed on what you have and what you are doing. None of us have been standing there with you, so you can’t make any assumptions about what we might or might not know.

You normally would update firmware from the Arduino IDE. What “firmware” are you trying to install? What is flip usb? Your question makes very little sense.

What I’m getting at is that you shouldn’t complain that people aren’t helpful because you’re not getting responses. From the looks of other threads around here the folks here are quite helpful and quick to respond. If that isn’t the same for you then the issue probably isn’t the quality of help on this forum. It’s the quality of the question you asked.

I haven't actually used flip, so I can't help you - but it is never appropriate, on any forum, to be all "why aren't people helping me there are X many views". The portion of people here who use flip is pretty small, so you're likely to see a fair number of views before you get a useful response. Many people here use clones that don't have the 16u2, or use ICSP to program their AVRs (particularly here in Microcontrollers), hence flip is not relevant to us. The micro doesn't seem to be super popular among the official designs either. Of those that do use boards that can be programmed via flip, few of us do so. Hence, it's no surprise that there would be lots of views with no answer, even if all views were real people.

The arduino team really snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with the whole 16u2 as serial adapter thing. If they'd made the extra pins usable, provided IDE support for programming a 16u2, or even just a facility to upload a few FW versions for HID, just serial, midi, etc, and provided an easier way to load code onto it - it would have been a great idea. Except they didn't, so hardly anyone in arduinoland ever has occasion to change the code on the 16u2, and the 16u2 is a more delicate chip than dedicated serial ICs, and lots of people in arduinoland abuse the boards because arduino is targeted at people without much electrical design experience.

But yeah, point is, you're asking a question that only a few people here can help with.

I am trying to update the firmware on the 16u2 to give it capabilities that leonardos or micros have with this guide https://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2 (cause im too lazy to buy one). Unfortunately, my comp wont recognize the driver files. BTW Crossroads, when i clicked the pdf, it had nothing about the drivers. thx n e way. everyone else, please stop dissing me, i wrote that in a moment of absolute frustration with flip and i m sorry.

also do u not use flip b cause it sucks, and usually has like a million errors?

I don't use FLIP because I do not work with boards that use 16u2 for serial adapter - and if I did, I'd program via ISP, since I already have working ISP programmers.

rainy_day: please stop dissing me,

We're not "dissing" you. You're mostly doing that to yourself

Like here:

thx n e way.

If you want people to think you're stupid, then write like you're stupid. If you want people to think you're smart and worth helping, then write like you give a damn.