Atmel ICE (UPDI) Debugging

Arduino IDE has always supported Atmel ICE (UPDI) for uploading sketches. How do you debug with it in 2.0 Beta? I am using AVR128DA28 which has the Atmel OneWire debug supported by UPDI programmers so it should be easy. Looking around the web and at the forums I have not come across anyone else trying to use this method.

Update: Hovering over the debug button I get the message, "Debugging is not supported by AVR-DA Series (No Bootloader)". This uses DxCore by Spence Konde. Is this a matter of configuration or does custom software have to be written by a Core developer to support debug?

Discussion on this topic here:

btribley:
Is this a matter of configuration or does custom software have to be written by a Core developer to support debug?

For architectures and debug probes supported by the debugger extension, it's a matter of configuration by the core developer to support debug. However, it's not clear what might be involved to debug via UPDI in Arduino IDE 2.x. That might well require some additional work on the user's side (e.g., installing a different debugger extension).

I'm looking forward to seeing the ever-resourceful Arduino community work their magic to bring the Arduino experience to debugging for AVR.