ATMEL in the wild

I know this subject has come up before but just encountered my first ATMEL microcontroller in a consumer product. A Sony radio mic pack.

For what Atmel MCU is in Sony Mic. It just records sounds, right?

overkiller:
For what Atmel MCU is in Sony Mic. It just records sounds, right?

The radio pack has a USB port that you can connect a keyboard (to adjust menu settings) or exchange encryption keys. The 90USB128 is probably the USB port and may also drive the packs display. Not sure if it's involved in encryption, DSP or signal generator though.

Great. I think that AVRs are too slow for encrypting something. IMO ARMs would encrypt better.

overkiller:
Great. I think that AVRs are too slow for encrypting something. IMO ARMs would encrypt better.

I agree it would probably be to slow to do encryption but it must manage/generate keys to program the chip(s) doing the encryption.

A great many DACs (or ADCs) require setup before they operate. Some can be hard-wired to a particular mode, if for example, the digital stream is ALWAYS 16-bit 44kHz stereo or something. If the digital source may use a different rate, word length, word justification (e.g., 24bit I2S with 16- to 20-bit words), or if you want control over noise shaping filters, etc., you're going to need a micro.

So, including one is just short of mandatory these days. Seeing one is no surprise to me. (Fun to see which, though!)