AtmelStudio can't find avrdude.conf - I can't fathom why?

Hi All

I have a PC running Windows 7. I have installed Arduino 1.8.10. I have installed Atmel Studio 7. I have bought an Arduino UNO.

As I understand it I can use ATMEL Studio to compile programs in assembler, then use the files avrdude.exe and avrdude.conf to allow me to program the UNO via the USB connection (which also powers the UNO).

I set up an external tool in Studio 7 and it happily accepts the path to avrdude as a 'command', namely

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avrdude.exe

However, when I put the following as the 'arguments' entry:

-C “C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\etc\avrdude.conf” -v -p atmega328p -c arduino -P COM3 -D -U flash:w:”$(MSBuildProjectDirectory)$(Configuration)$(OutputFileName).hex”:i

I get the error:

avrdude.exe: can't open config file "“C:\Program": Invalid argument
avrdude.exe: error reading system wide configuration file "“C:\Program"

Now I am certain that the syntax is correct and I've tried putting the .conf file in different places but still no joy.

I've looked on the internet and lots of people have used text similar to mine and are having no problems. The arguments entry I got from one site so there may be other issues, but I really can't see why an absolute reference to a file is a problem?

I have used Atmel Studio to compile a program, then I have used the CMD window to change directory to the one where I have stored the .exe, .conf and .hex files. Running the command avrdude.exe works! So if I have to I can program the UNO like that, but I am staggered that the path is being rejected??

Anyone have any ideas where I am going wrong please?

Cheers
James

Looks like the double quotes for the path are ignored.

You can try to copy the config file to a path without spaces.

Hi sterretje

I have been told that the double quotes cause the text to be interpreted as a 'string' and so any spaces are ignored or coped with at least.

One of the examples I have seen on the internet also had spaces in and I assume that they didn't give the poster any problems. I've tried loads of variants, including no double quotes. I've checked the syntax against that on the avrdude datasheet.

I can't be the only person in the world to be using this software and it's all out-of-the-box, all standard!

I'll try moving the .conf to another spaceless location though.

Cheers
James

Your -C parameter looks correct.

Command line arguments are separated by spaces. By embedding text with spaces (e.g. the path) in double quotes, the text will not be treated as separate arguments.

The fact that your error indicates C:\Program and not the full path makes me think that the double quotes are ignored (or maybe there is a non-matching double quote somewhere.