attachment for a wiper motor

I’d like to use a wiper motor as a winch, and I got the motor in the mail but now I’m not sure what the best way is to attach a gear or plate to the threaded shaft on the motor without any slipping (I’ll be operating it in both directions). Whatever I thread onto it, do I just need to make it very tight? Or is there a way to use the groves that are behind the threads on the motor shaft?

This is what the wiper motor shaft looks like:

An image is also attached.

If you look carefully at the shaft, you will see a tapered section below the threaded part. What ever you attach to the motor must have a corresponding tapered hole so the nut on the threaded part can press the part tightly onto the tapered part. Then the part cannot move, either direction.

Paul

I do see the tapered section below the threaded part. Do you know where I can find items with a corresponding tapered hole? Are there any key words I can use to find some on google?

sodani:
I do see the tapered section below the threaded part. Do you know where I can find items with a corresponding tapered hole? Are there any key words I can use to find some on google?

No idea and I suspect there are not any. You have to measure the taper and create the same taper in whatever you attach.

Paul

Hi,

A Cheaters Taper is to drill two holes in from each side of a piece of metal, one hole just a little less than the wider end of the shaft, the other hole just a little bigger than the less-wide end. IF you get the thickness of the metal and the hole sizes figured out it can 'jam' on the shaft and be held in place by the nut. (Hope you HAVE or can get a nut).

It's a fussy hacker's approach with with no machine shop / reamers etc. But I have made this work.

Really you could do with parts from the rest of the wiper mechanism to get that parts .
It’s often worthwhile getting an assembly, then you get brackets , mounts etc ..

Next time eh ?

It is likely to be a standard taper. Machine tools which use tapers might be sold as "2MT" or "3MT" which gives a specific size within a specific system of tapers. (The Morse taper, in this example.)

Look for "gears for tapered shaft" and I'm sure you'll quickly find what the different tapers are called. Then you can look up the standard to find out which one you have.

Since the OP had to ask the forum, I doubt they are equipped to compute the taper.

Paul

Before jumping further, have you done the torque calculations to decide if the motor is upto the
task you want to use it for?