Attachments have disappeared

I am so angry about this I'm not sure where to start ...

I had attachments with example code in the first and third posts in this Thread (and probably in several others) and they have disappeared. I have since uploaded a ZIP file to the first post because another user was interested.

I came across this

mrdanny: now => Allowed file types: doc, gif, jpg, mpg, pdf, png, txt, zip Restrictions: maximum total size 1 MB, maximum individual size 1 MB

here

So I suspect the reason the attachments disappeared is because 2 of the files had a .py extension (Python code) and the third was a .ino file

I hope something will be done quickly to reinstate all missing attachments.

It is utterly ludicrous on THE ARDUINO FORUM when the "adminiatrator" proudly announces that we can't upload .ino files.

...R

In light of reading this I searched out (using google as the forum search is broken) an old project I had posted on here and see the attachments have all disappeared rendering the post useless. At least I now have the option of locking or deleting the thread though.

Riva: In light of reading this I searched out (using google as the forum search is broken) an old project I had posted on here and see the attachments have all disappeared rendering the post useless. At least I now have the option of locking or deleting the thread though.

Or you could add them again - probably wrapped in a .zip file

I hope somebody fixes this.

...R

This is quite serious, forwarded this problem to the core team. I hope they read this section, but they are very busy fixing stuff.

robtillaart: This is quite serious, forwarded this problem to the core team. I hope they read this section, but they are very busy fixing stuff.

did you write on basecamp?

all attachments will be restored (only the link - we have already sync all file) probably this night. do you remember what is the extension file list?

.ino and .pde (and maybe .c and .cpp?) should be allowed extensions

mrdanny: did you write on basecamp?

What is basecamp ?

all attachments will be restored (only the link - we have already sync all file) probably this night. do you remember what is the extension file list?

As far as I recall the files I had uploaded were either .ino, .c, .cpp, .py, or .rb

Python files are .py and Ruby / JRuby files are .rb

Your list should include files written in any/every programming language. I know other people communicate with Arduinos using C#, VB, Java.

...R

mrdanny:

robtillaart:
This is quite serious, forwarded this problem to the core team.
I hope they read this section, but they are very busy fixing stuff.

did you write on basecamp?

all attachments will be restored (only the link - we have already sync all file) probably this night.
do you remember what is the extension file list?

Yes I did write on Basecamp
I do not know all the extensions used…

mrdanny: do you remember what is the extension file list?

Unless the extension list can be culled from the database or file system the best choice is to allow all extensions. At least in the past, the moderators have done a good job of purging malicious content.

Robin2:

mrdanny: did you write on basecamp?

What is basecamp ?

Basecamp is a website were the developers(?) behind the forum communicate to some people. As moderator I can post messages there. FYI there are dozens of problems reported there already, some have been fixed.

Hundreds more still not fixed it would seem

[quote author=Coding Badly date=1413915937 link=msg=1930021]

mrdanny: do you remember what is the extension file list?

Unless the extension list can be culled from the database or file system the best choice is to allow all extensions. At least in the past, the moderators have done a good job of purging malicious content.

[/quote] Can you do a list of banned extensions instead of a list of allowed? I tend to only download image formats, pdf & programming source extensions (cpp/c/py/ino etc) but someone may get caught out by .exe that has been uploaded.

mrdanny: all attachments will be restored (only the link - we have already sync all file) probably this night.

Well now it is after "this night" and the attachments have not been restored - eg this Thread

The main purpose of this Forum is education. How can that work if I write demos and the users cannot download them? Yesterday there were complaints from 3 people who could not access attachments to my demos. And I am certainly not the only person with attachments to posts.

Two simple questions ... Are the links to the attachments going to be restored? When?

And one more complicated question ... If I upload an attachment to a Post will that prevent the original attachment links for that Post from being restored?

...R

Robin2:

mrdanny: all attachments will be restored (only the link - we have already sync all file) probably this night.

Well now it is after "this night" and the attachments have not been restored - eg this Thread

The main purpose of this Forum is education. How can that work if I write demos and the users cannot download them? Yesterday there were complaints from 3 people who could not access attachments to my demos. And I am certainly not the only person with attachments to posts.

Two simple questions ... Are the links to the attachments going to be restored? When?

And one more complicated question ... If I upload an attachment to a Post will that prevent the original attachment links for that Post from being restored?

...R

Maybe use a third party file host for now?

smeezekitty: Maybe use a third party file host for now?

Jeez - whose side are you on ?

I just want the problem FIXED. NOW.

I have already put a lot of effort into making demos and tutorials - and now you want me to put even more effort into fixing something that was working perfectly before someone broke it.

...R

Hi Everyone, Few words about me and this serious issue. I am the new responsible of the web architecture in Arduino. My name is Luca and I am starting working in the Turin office at Officine Arduino. This issue is incredibly bad, appeared after the migration and it is affecting all files being uploaded before the migration on Monday. There are two developers actually looking at this and going to fix it. I do not have an ETA yet but I truly believe can be fixed before the end of the day (CET time) or tomorrow morning at most. We are incredibly sorry for these kind of issues and are completely changing internal procedures to avoid the same problems in the future. It is a long process we are introducing. As you can see the Forum Update is one of the result of the new strategy and we need to improve it for sure. Please wait until a further notice. We are alredy looking into this issue as our first priority, marking this issue as blocking. Thanks for all your support and patience.

Luca

Some more info:

We have all the attachments saved correctly, they are not available to be displayed in the new forum but there is no data loss.

I wonder if this is related to the issue I mentioned here. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?msg=1930459

No, it is not. That is another issue with a lower priority. Thank you for reporting.

mastrolinux: Hi Everyone, Few words about me and this serious issue.

Thank you Luca,

Those are the first reassuring words I have seen since the upgrade (and indeed for a long time before it).

I understand there can be difficulties and I can be patient now that I know the matter is being taken seriously.

I do hope you will continue to be a regular participant in this section of the Forum.

...R