Attempting to power my Arduino Mega 2560 with a 3S1P 2700mAh Li-Po battery

Hello!

As the subject states, I'm trying to figure out if I can power my Mega 2560 with a 3-cell lipo. It has a capacity of 2700mAh and when fully chargrd, carries a voltage of about 12.2v. I just want to be sure if the on board voltage regulator will be able to handle the battery when plugged into the barrel jack. Additionally, can I safely power my board with this battery via the Vin pin? This battery will also be powering 4 brushless outrunner motors and 4 20amp escs. I'm building a quadcopter.

Thanks for your input! I've done research on the topic but I came across several ambiguous results. I've damaged a board before but it may have been because of a short across the pins under the board. I want to be sure I won't destroy this one so I've encased it with an acrylic project box, and I want to make sure I can power it safely. Any tips on how I should go about doing this are greatly appreciated.

That voltage will be ok on the barrel jack and on Vin.
The difference is only a reverse protection diode between DC jack and Vin, so DC jack would be preferred.
However, at that input voltage, the voltage regulators of the Mega can't supply power-hungry comms and sensors.
It might be wise to drop the battery voltage to 5volt with a Pololu buck converter, and feed that into the 5volt pin.
That could also increase battery life.
Leo..

Wawa:
That voltage will be ok on the barrel jack and on Vin.
The difference is only a reverse protection diode between DC jack and Vin, so DC jack would be preferred.
However, at that input voltage, the voltage regulators of the Mega can't supply power-hungry comms and sensors.
It might be wise to drop the battery voltage to 5volt with a Pololu buck converter, and feed that into the 5volt pin.
That could also increase battery life.
Leo..

Thanks! The only devices I'll actually be powering with the Arduino are an L3G4200D gyro breakout board and a small radio receiver that can accept voltage from 4.3v to 6v. I'm also worried about the regulator. I'm worried that most of the energy being supplied will be wasted as heat by the regulator. Could this regulator tolerate the voltage with just those two conponents?

Total current draw is important.
All currents added should be ~<150mA at that input voltage.
The regulator will get hot and will shut down if average current draw is more than that.
The Mega is using ~75mA.
The L3G4200D is low (<10mA).
Not sure which radio. Receiving is usually low. Transmitting is not.
Leo…

Sounds good! I couldn't find a datasheet for the radio im using buthe I'm glad I'll be able to safely power the board! Thanks for your help.