ATtiny 1634 support?

I did a quick forum search and did not find anything concerning Arduino IDE support for the "new" --to me at least-- ATtiny 1634. Does any one have any information about using this device with the Arduino IDE????

Thanks in advance

David G.

Why would you want to use it? It looks like the ATmega1284 is a much better choice.

Two uarts in a 20-pin package, less than $2 ?

Ugh. Sorry about that. I badly misread the cover sheet.

Two caveats... Max. Operating Frequency: 12 MHz No DIP

I wonder what these things are... 32kHz Ultra Low Power Oscillator and Sampled BOD

Support for a 32KHz oscillator (like most [all?] AVR processors)? Or one built-in? And what is "sampled" BOD?

Looks pretty new. Announced May last year and who knows exactly when they became available in quantity.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2012/05/16/atmel-unveils-avr-xmega-c-tinyavr-attiny1634-and-avr-uc3-l3d4-mcus/

$1.08 @ qty 25 at Digikey. Slightly cheaper than the attiny88 and twice the RAM and flash, 4x the EEPROM, but 10 fewer IOs.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ATTINY1634-SU/ATTINY1634-SU-ND/3128695

vs.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/ATTINY88-MU/ATTINY88-MU-ND/1886250

Interestingly, 4 (12 in total) more ports can be used as analog inputs compared to the Tiny88 if you are into that.

It claims to support "Universal Serial Interface" (USI). What is that?

Looks like a winner.

And soic is a nice sort of intermediate package...

Especially with that pincount, they autoroute like dip's.

Bob

Most output buffers have symmetrical drive characteristics with both high sink and source capability, while some are asymmetrical and have high sink and standard source capability. The pin driver is strong enough to drive LED displays directly.

It appears most pins have “weak” symmetric output drivers and a few pins have “strong” asymmetric drivers. As far as I can tell, the “strong” drivers are closer to what we’ve grown to expect from AVR processor: 20mA typical; 40mA max.

Nope.

I can’t find the difference between the “symmetric” pins and the “asymmetric” pins. There it is…

Standard I/O: IOL = 10 mA, VCC = 5V
High-sink I/O: IOL = 20 mA, VCC = 5V
—> 0.6 V

The “high sink” pins seem to be about the same as “normal” pins on most other AVR processors.

It seems to be a shrunken m328 with lower power consumption.

Timer 0 and timer 1 are identical to the standard 8b and 16b ATmega timers so a core with ATtiny84 or ATmega328 support should work well for this processor.

Well.. 9 responses and no answer to my question.." is there Arduino IDE support for the ATtiny 1634?" I gather this means "NO!"

Bummer... =( David G.

One problem that we haven't mentioned yet is that the compiler version used by Arduino (old.old) does not recognize the attiny1634 mcu type...

westfw:
One problem that we haven’t mentioned yet is that the compiler version used by Arduino (old.old) does not recognize the attiny1634 mcu type…

Atmel’s compiler is free and full featured. I have only used it once, but it worked fine. Maybe give that a try. I have to admit that these processors look nice and I had Digikey send me a few so I will be trying to get them programmed up using Atmel Studio, likely soldered to one of the adapter boards I have.

Looks like the folks responsible for the Arduino-Tiny cores have been busy:

See{ https://github.com/rambo/arduino-tiny/tree/attiny1634

Close reading indicates that the AVR-GCC included in the Arduino IDE needs to be "Fresher" .. I have no clue how to do that --Typical Windows user....egad!

Perhaps it will all come together soon!

David G.

Atmel's compiler is free and full featured

And is just a newer version of the some compiler used by Arduino. I didn't mean to imply that this was a huge stumbling block, just a ... major inconvenience (install the Atmel "tools", copy the newer compiler into the places where Arduino expects to find it, and update all the current cores to take into account any differences. Or, implement a new "platform" for the newer chips and add a separate copy of the compiler for it. All possible, but all not exactly "Arduino-easy")

westfw:

Atmel's compiler is free and full featured

And is just a newer version of the some compiler used by Arduino. I didn't mean to imply that this was a huge stumbling block, just a ... major inconvenience (install the Atmel "tools", copy the newer compiler into the places where Arduino expects to find it, and update all the current cores to take into account any differences. Or, implement a new "platform" for the newer chips and add a separate copy of the compiler for it. All possible, but all not exactly "Arduino-easy")

Yeah, but the IDE is tits.

the IDE is tits

Um. Which one? And is that supposed to be good, or bad?

The Arduino IDE is simplistic but easy to use.
Atmel Studio is full-featured, but bloated, windows-only, and NOT easy to use.

westfw:

the IDE is tits

Um. Which one? And is that supposed to be good, or bad?

The Arduino IDE is simplistic but easy to use. Atmel Studio is full-featured, but bloated, windows-only, and NOT easy to use.

You got to get with the lingo. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tits

Tits

2275 up, 886 down

1. Awesome, amazing, stellar, crazy, unbelievable, awe-inspiring, overwhelming, mind blowing, shocking, majestic magnificent, impressive, cool, grand, stupefying, wonderful NOTE:The word 'tits' can replace any of these words in normal speech. Chya!

Dude, that was tits!

I mean Atmel Studio's IDE. When you hit Alt-F, it actually works, you know, like a Windows program. It also has source code control integration, Search In Files, etc. It just feels more like a real IDE, but maybe that's just because I use Visual Studio all the time for my real job. With that being said, I've written far more code in Arduino then in Atmel Studio because that is where I got started. Arduino is tits too, just not the IDE itself.

Well, I bought a few of these chips from Digikey. They came today and they program fine in Atmel Studio. Don’t know how well they program up in Arduino.

I have bought too some of these chips and I don't succeed to get communication with Atmel AVR Studio 6 over ISP6 with JTAGICE3. Do they need external crystal for startup or anything else ?