ATtiny Reset pin alternate function.

How do I use PB5 of myATtiny45 chip as a digital input instead of a Reset pin? Is this going to complicate reprogramming the chip in the future?

SherpaDoug:
How do I use PB5 of myATtiny45 chip as a digital input instead of a Reset pin? Is this going to complicate reprogramming the chip in the future?

Fuse setting will change the pin function and yes it will make future reprogramming difficult if not impossible?

Lefty

Yes, programming will no longer be possible with ISP.

You can use a high voltage serial programmer to restore the fuses and allow the device to be programmed again though.

Alternatively, if you use the 85 instead of the 45, you can burn a serial bootloader. While this costs 576bytes of flash, it will allow you to program serially - though when using the internal oscillator bootloaders can be hit or miss if the clock frequency changes too much.

OK, I suspected so. It will be easier to use that pin for output only and move the input to another pin.

Thanks

You can't use the pin as an output without disabling the reset pin. Neither can you use it as an input without disabling the reset pin.

Actually, someone has been able to use the reset as an input as long as the voltage stays above 0.5Vcc.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=151176.msg1135052#msg1135052