ATtiny85, Arduino Uno r3, Tiny AVR Programmer ?

? Hello, My name is Mike and my Arduino forum name is Firepod. I bought my Arduino Uno, R3
( DIP Version ) about 2 months ago, 4-1-13. I also bought the book Programming Arduino, Getting Started with Sketches, by Simon Monk. I have only had time to read about a third of the book and try to read about 10 pages a day. I have a disability with my legs so I am retired from working in the Electrical trade, mostly residential and light commercial. I am pretty good with my hands so I as a hobby I tinker around my workbench on my roll around workbench chair. I was OK pulling romex cable and wiring houses plugging and switching and hooking up to 40 circuits in a house circuit breaker panel. In just about every house I would wire with maybe a backup automatic propane generator. I would wire up light fixtures and things like that without blowing myself up. I am a want to be wood carving and stone carving artist. I have lot’s of ideas to lighting up my artwork with LED lighting if I ever get back to carving after falling in this big hole of understanding Arduino, reading and righting sketches. I thought a little background would get me some mercy from all the Arduino pro’s and software engineers.

Around the same time I bought my book and Arduino I bought 25 ATiny85 chips. I have an idea for one of my art displays to have 1 red 5 mm LED in series with a 220 ohm resister. I would like to have my Led to have an overall 5 second cycle. Starting from the off position and slowly fading up to it’s zenith position at full brightness at 2.5 seconds and then fading back down to off at 5 seconds. This is a similar example of what I am trying to accomplish.

I guess that this example the cycle is in 1400 mili seconds long with it’s zenith at the top at 750 mili seconds.
I now use a 2009 Apple computer, iMac desktop user and I am trying to simulate my older 2004 iMac sleep light. I guess you could say it is like an adult heartbeat while a person is at rest sleeping.

I have stabbing in the dark trying to get my Arduino Uno, R3 to program my ATiny85 chips. I have downloaded the latest Arduino software to my computer and also downloaded the ATtiny master.zip files from, http://hlt.media.mit.edu/?p=1801 M.I.T. University, high-low tech designer’s.

I followed the instruction as best I could and I cannot get the ATtiny45, ATtiny85 items to show up in my tools list in the Arduino program. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the Arduino software half a dozen times tried the older version and the newer Beta version. Last night I was so fed up I ordered this I think newer product from SparkFun Electronics called a ( Tiny AVR Programmer ), developed by the M.I.T. design team.

Tiny AVR Programmer?PGM-11460 RoHS Compliant OSHW
Description: The ATtiny45 and 85 are a couple of really cool little MCUs but did you know you can program them in Arduino? That’s right, now you can shrink your Arduino projects down to “tiny size” by moving your code straight over to these small but capable ICs. The standard method for programming the ATtiny ICs involves a breadboard, lots of jumper wires and a hardware programmer, but David Mellis over at MIT Media Lab has simplified the process by laying out this handy USB programmer.
The Tiny AVR Programmer plugs directly into your USB port and provides a programming socket for the ATTiny45 and 85. Just slot an ATtiny into the socket, plug the programmer into your USB port and start up the Arduino IDE. After installing the proper board definitions, you simply program it the same way you would any other Arduino board. The programmer even breaks out the IC pins to female headers so you can easily prototype around the ATtiny without pulling and plugging it over and over. The ISP header is also broken out so you can use the programmer for other AVR microcontrollers!
Note: You’ll need to install the USBTiny, ISP drivers if you don’t have them yet, you can find them in the documents below!
I hope to have this item by Saturday or Monday 6 - 8 or 10 - 13, but I think I am giong to run into the same problem that I have been running into. I do not think the ATiny is going to show up on my tools list. I am not a PC user, I am a Apple iMac user. I am not used to unzipping files that is PC lingo, I guess is to right click on a PC or Control click on a mac to open or unzip the files.

?
?
This tutorial explains how to use the TinyProgrammer, a small circuit board for loading code on the ATtiny45 and 85 microcontrollers (or other AVRs).
Driver Installation (Windows-only)
The TinyProgrammer is compatible with the USBtinyISP and uses the same drivers. For Mac OS X and Linux, you shouldn’t need any drivers. For Windows, download and unzip:
Windows (32-bit) drivers: usbtinyisp w32 driver v1.12.zip
Windows (64-bit) drivers: usbtinyisp_libusb-win32_1.2.1.0.zip
Then, plug in the programmer. Somewhere during the driver installation process, you should be able to point Windows to the directory containing the drivers you downloaded.
Programming
To program an ATtiny45 or ATtiny85 microcontroller using the Arduino 1.0 software, see this tutorial. Select “USBtinyISP” from the Tools > Programmers menu.
For the older, Arduino 0022, see this tutorial.
Connecting Components
?
You can connect components to the microcontroller by plugging them into the adjacent headers. For example, the photo above shows an LED connected to pin 0 (and ground). Note that you might have to disconnect the components before you can upload a new program to the microcontroller. Otherwise, you might get the following error:
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

This is a screenshot photo of my list of tools with no ATtiny85 on the list. I am stuck at this point and can not follow any of my tutorials from different internet sites.

On the next page down is what I get when I open the ATtiny master folder. I have created a new folder and named it hardware and dropped the ATtiny85 folder in the hardware folder but it does not look like I am executing this process properly.

I live in a somewhat rural area and the local Radio Shack is no help and I can not find any local user groups or electronic meet ups near where I live. I would be willing to use Skype and maybe screen sharing if there are any Apple, Mac computer users willing to coach me through me problems. Any help even though I am not a PC person I think the Arduino program I think may be similar.

/*
"Breathing sleep LED, like on a Mac.
Jeremy Saglimbeni 2011
thecustomgeek.com

LED is attached to pin 11 in series with a 5.6K resistor
*/
int i = 0;
void setup() { // bring the LED up nicely from being off
  for(i = 0 ; i <= 15; i+=1)
  {
    analogWrite(11, i);
    delay(5);
  }
}
void loop()
{
  for(i = 15 ; i <= 255; i+=1)
  { 
    analogWrite(11, i);
    if (i > 150) {
      delay(4);
    }
    if ((i > 125) && (i < 151)) {
      delay(5);
    }
    if (( i > 100) && (i < 126)) {
      delay(7);
    }
    if (( i > 75) && (i < 101)) {
      delay(10);
    }
    if (( i > 50) && (i < 76)) {
      delay(14);
    }
    if (( i > 25) && (i < 51)) {
      delay(18);
    }
    if (( i > 1) && (i < 26)) {
      delay(19);
    }
  }
  for(i = 255; i >=15; i-=1)
  {
    analogWrite(11, i);
    if (i > 150) {
      delay(4);
    }
    if ((i > 125) && (i < 151)) {
      delay(5);
    }
    if (( i > 100) && (i < 126)) {
      delay(7);
    }
    if (( i > 75) && (i < 101)) {
      delay(10);
    }
    if (( i > 50) && (i < 76)) {
      delay(14);
    }
    if (( i > 25) && (i < 51)) {
      delay(18);
    }
    if (( i > 1) && (i < 26)) {
      delay(19);
    }
  }
  delay(970);
}

Above is a sketch that I found and got to work on my breadboard. I tried a couple different resistors but I think that if someone could right a better one to help me out that would be great.

I am available most of the time between noon and 2 am EST.

Thanks in advance for any help that comes my way !

Mike
msnyder5@mac.com

P.S. I typed this up on before hand on Pages, with my word processor software. It may not copy and paste my screenshots or photos. I will be saving what I wrote to my computer so if need be I can email what is about seven pages of what I am trying my best to put on paper. Trying to explain and wright my thoughts down is a challenging task for me also.

Moderator edit:
</mark> <mark>[code]</mark> <mark>

</mark> <mark>[/code]</mark> <mark>
tags added.

Once I copied the files into my sketchbook/hardware directory, and rebooted the Arduino IDE, all my ATTiny85 options showed up in my Tools->Board menu.

As far as your code goes, are you sure pin 11 is correct? Because my ATtiny85 only has 8 pins.

Hello, and thank you for having an interest in helping me solve my problem. After I have assumed to have downloaded the ATiny master.zip files and I think either on my iMac computer,
( Control, Option or Command clicked ) which is the equivalent of ( Right click ) on a PC. I proceed with the drop down menu that appears and choose ( open ) to unzip the files. I have taken a screenshot of what I get the following. I finally realized I could copy and paste text to this page in the forum, Yea 1 step forward ! This seems to be text only because it does not do anything and the file size is only 4kb or --, two blank dash lines.
A couple times I was able to create a hardware folder and drag and drop the ATiny :open_mouth: ( Hello, ? wait a second here ), as I look at the information that I was able to copy and paste just now there is no ATtiny85 listed in the list there is only ( attiny45 ) info. I better go back and go over the unzipping of the master files and I will post if I make any progress, I won't hold my breath. Talk about throwing my time down the toilet !

This is what I get after unzipping and it still does not show up in the Tools list !

attiny45.name=ATtiny45 (internal 1 MHz clock)
attiny45.bootloader.low_fuses=0x62
attiny45.bootloader.high_fuses=0xdf
attiny45.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xff
attiny45.upload.maximum_size=4096
attiny45.build.mcu=attiny45
attiny45.build.f_cpu=1000000L
attiny45.build.core=arduino:arduino
attiny45.build.variant=tiny8

attiny45-8.name=ATtiny45 (internal 8 MHz clock)
attiny45-8.bootloader.low_fuses=0xe2
attiny45-8.bootloader.high_fuses=0xdf
attiny45-8.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xff
attiny45-8.upload.maximum_size=4096
attiny45-8.build.mcu=attiny45
attiny45-8.build.f_cpu=8000000L
attiny45-8.build.core=arduino:arduino
attiny45-8.build.variant=tiny8

attiny45-20.name=ATtiny45 (external 20 MHz clock)
attiny45-20.bootloader.low_fuses=0xfe
attiny45-20.bootloader.high_fuses=0xdf
attiny45-20.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xff
attiny45-20.upload.maximum_size=4096
attiny45-20.build.mcu=attiny45
attiny45-20.build.f_cpu=20000000L
attiny45-20.build.core=arduino:arduino
attiny45-20.build.variant=tiny8

Never mind Firepod as a user name, I feel like a fried pod ! Mike :0

As I recall, the tiny85 information in that file was the same as the tiny45, and it worked for me.

Not sure if there is a Mac issue. I haven't done Arduino programming on a Mac.

Two things to try:

Make sure it's in the hardware folder in your sketch folder, and not in the Arduino folder.

Make sure you're looking in the Boards submenu of the Tools menu.

Another possibility would be to try a different core. I had unrelated problems with the MIT core and ended up with Arduino-Tiny