ATTiny85 - as an Infrared Remote

Hi Community.
I've been reading this forum for a long time and almost always found an answer to my questions without having to ask. But now I'm stuck.

I want to build a small IR Remote using an ATTiny85.
I found this nice library (IRemote), tried it - works perfectly on the Arduino UNO and Pro Mini.

Because I wanted to have a small project, I googled and found something very promising here for the ATTiny85 (@8MHz).
Looks like he's just using an ATTiny85, plugs everything together and uses an modified version of IRemote (it sends only RC6 - exactly what I need).

The problem is: I can't get it to transmit the correct code.
I dumped the sent code using IRrecvDumpV2 - it's garbage.

Has anyone of you successfully rebuild this project?
It makes me want to tear my hair out!

Best regards and thank you very much for reading!

phedon

Did you change the fuses so the processor is running at the correct speed?

Hi.
I'm using the "burn bootloader" function in the Arduino Software to program my tinys to 8MHz. I always assumed, that it's one way to set the fuses, right?
Arduino pretends to have successfully burnt the bootloader.

Btw: I'm using tiny-core.

I have not done a "send" IR tiny85 project, but the "receive only" works perfectly for "Sony"
IR tiny85 dedicated

In my experience, I usually try to stay away from the "bootloader" with the T85 unless you wish to use the one from Adafruit, Trinket, or perhaps the T85 bootloader by Jenna Fox - Bluebie: micronucleus

If you are interested in cloning the Trinket, I have an article here.

Ray

Hi Ray,
thanks a lot for your answer.
The "burn bootloader" only sets the fuses, it doesn't really burn a bootloader (according to this tutorial: High-Low Tech – Programming an ATtiny w/ Arduino 1.6 (or 1.0)).
Thank you for the links to the articles (your projects - they are pretty cool!).

The thing is - I don't really want to abandon my idea, even if it failed so often until now. I'm very thankful for every hint, tip, idea - whatever you give me.

Regards

phedon:
<…>
The thing is - I don’t really want to abandon my idea, even if it failed so often until now. I’m very thankful for every hint, tip, idea - whatever you give me.

Regards

I think you missed my hint: Digispark and Trinket are tiny85 based; both have huge project libraries and forums.

So, Digispark IR

And Trinket IR projects

Good luck,

Ray

phedon:
I'm using the "burn bootloader" function in the Arduino Software to program my tinys to 8MHz. I always assumed, that it's one way to set the fuses, right?

Right.

I indeed tried it with an Digispark (and DS Pro), but also failed.
What about this "calibrating the oscillator" (TinyTuner) - it seems necessary (failed getting it to work too).
Or do I err?
Maybe my system is just f*cked up and I should do a clean install?!

I meanwhile decided to give this project up.
From what I understood, the osccal is very important for this project, but I can't find a way to get this value (tried the given examples, none worked as expected). Maybe I'll try again later - currently I'm too upset because of these ongoing failures. Thanx for your help.

phedon:
I indeed tried it with an Digispark (and DS Pro), but also failed.

What about this "calibrating the oscillator" (TinyTuner) - it seems necessary (failed getting it to work too).
Or do I err?

Maybe my system is just f*cked up and I should do a clean install?!

1. Bummer

2. Necessary for very critical timing; but, I have never hsd to do this... factory defaults seem OK for my use.

3. Do not waste your time. If you can program the chip, the PC is OK

phedon:
I meanwhile decided to give this project up.
From what I understood, the osccal is very important for this project, but I can't find a way to get this value (tried the given examples, none worked as expected). Maybe I'll try again later - currently I'm too upset because of these ongoing failures. Thanx for your help.

NP.
IR is done typically via timing loops. The tiny85 is a fringe chip for Arduino - no official support or design. This is a tough area to explore unless you are very proficient in AVR-ese.
If you really like hardware, explore naked 328P-PU designs. Nick Gammon has a great write-up on his site and I have a fun project.

Yeah, Nick has so much nice tuts out there - helped me very much with putting the tiny to sleep.

:confused:
Well, it's a bit embarrassing, but..
I couldn't give up - you probably know, what I mean.
I changed the Arduino IDE version and used 1.0.6 and - um - IT WORKS! :o
Damn, you can't imagine how happy I was. :slight_smile:

mrburnette, Coding Badly: I really appreciate your help! Thank you very much.

phedon

Thank you for the follow-up.