[ATTINY85]Nothing but junk appears on my serial monitor... :(

Hello! I have an attiny85. I have flashed it with blink and is working well.

The problem is with serial. I burned the bootloader to use serial with no errors. I have tryied differnent cores with differents ide's with no success. I still getting junk letters from the serial . I used arduino duemilanove as isp . Is it possible the chip has failed and only serial doesnt work?

I also removed the atmega from arduino and replaced the capacitor with a jumper wire.Thanks

There are no hardware serial ports.

Use softwareSerial over 3v (5v)

Thanks for the reply!! Do you mean to power the attiny with 3 volts?

Under 3.3v softwareSerial acts up (when powering the attiny85)

Thanks! The attiny was powered with 5 volts :( but i can't check it right now if it is working with 3.3 volts. I think that if i use the arduino 3.3v output i can get some readable data from serial. I will reply in about 4 hours..

If you use this core:

https://code.google.com/p/arduino-tiny/

there are several options for serial output.

A simple example below. The serial output will be pin PB3. Connect a serial/USB converter to that pin.

This might be of interest:

http://www.ernstc.dk/arduino/tinycom.html

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
Serial.println("Testing..");
}

I just tested with 3.3 volts from arduino duemilanove and i get the same junk letters...with this code for example which uses the previous core i get this "ðððððððúððððððððûðððððððððððððððøððúððððððøððúððððððððð" in straight line.

Is there any problem that windows isn't in english language? I think i have tryied everything...

How are you connecting the tiny to your Arduino.

Why are you powering the tiny with 3.3V

Hello my friend here is the tutorial that i used.http://www.instructables.com/id/Program-an-ATtiny-with-Arduino/

I succesfully flashed it with blink sketch but with serial… no luck!

I powered with 3.3volts because today i learned that serial working only under this voltage. But with both voltages i keep reaciving
these letters.

Now im thinking if the problem is the chip itself or the duemilanove…

I accept any help thanks

I powered with 3.3volts because today i learned that serial working only under this voltage.

That proves that you should not trust everything you read, it is nonsens.

I don’t know the core you are using, as I said in previous post I am using this one:

https://code.google.com/p/arduino-tiny/

is there any problem that windows isn’t in english language? I think i have tryied everything…

No mine windows is danish, and that dosn’t give me any trouble.

Are you using SoftWareSerial for communication ?

(deleted)

Are you sure about that? I left that as a final solution (before i throw it to the garbage)because it has a lot of reading. So there are attinys that are ok and some others that need this "calibration"?? Bad luck then...

(deleted)

Thanks my friend. I cant check it right now because i need to read several things about that (im using attiny for first time) and i will reply asap. I found pour man's tiny tuner. Is that the way to go or you have a better-faster way?

(deleted)

Spyrakos88: I just tested with 3.3 volts from arduino duemilanove and i get the same junk letters...with this code for example which uses the previous core i get this "ðððððððúððððððððûðððððððððððððððøððúððððððøððúððððððððð" in straight line.

Is there any problem that windows isn't in english language? I think i have tryied everything...

You need 5v...... 3v is no good for softserial!

People read my post and read something I never said, I was making sure you used 5v! And not 2aa batteries ...

Then a. You switch to 3v?. B. What I typed was " nonsense "

I was trying to help you by making sure you used 5v .

Fair enough if you're a non english speaker... but what's the excuse for the rest who posted!

Ok here is the results with tiny tuner. I upload the sketch "Interactive_to_Serial_with_Details"

here is the instructions from the sketch

ATtiny85 Instructions...

• Note: This Sketch is too large to fit on the ATtiny45 processor. Use the Interactive_to_Serial example instead.

• Select the correct board / serial port

• Upload this Sketch to the processor

• Connect PB3 / Pin 3 to receive on the serial converter

• Connect PB4 / Pin 4 to transmit on the serial converter

• Start your favorite terminal program, open the correct serial port, change the baud rate to 9600

• Reset the processor. A welcome message should be displayed.

• Continue sending single 'x' characters (no carriage-return; no line-feed) until the calibration finishes

All good until i reset the processor. When i reset i receive nothing but junk letters no welcome message.. i send the "x" characters the rx led is blinking when i send them but i still receiving this.

I think that the attiny i bought is crap.

Edit: I see that we can use external crystals with attiny85 which are extremely cheap. I think i will try them thanks.

Spyrakos88: I think that the ATtiny I bought is crap.

Whilst that is always possible, the general feeling here is that nearly all faults are the result of just not getting everything quite right. (Digital chips mostly work, or do not work.) The problem is figuring out just what it is that is not quite right.

May I suggest you write a sketch to toggle a LED every ten seconds, and run it for a minute or two to see just how far out of step it gets over that period. This will demonstrate the success - or otherwise of the calibration. I do not quite understand what the calibration process does, so it may be necessary to add code to the sketch (and indeed any sketch) to implement the actual calibration.

I just did what you said! The results...

The chip is not crap.. It needs tune for sure... I updated the blink example and instead of 1 second (1000ms) delays 10 seconds!!!It is tuned one zero ahead!! I need to learn how i can tune this thing...