ATtiny85 programming works in Linux 32 bit, but fails in 64 bit. Arduino 1.6.5.

Greetings.

I've got Arduino 1.6.5 installed on a 32 bit laptop running Linux Mint 17.2 and also on a 64 bit laptop with the same Mint release, only 64 bits wide.

I'm using my Duemilanove as an ISP. This works perfectly well at programming a 1 MHz attiny85 with the blink sketch, suitably modified to use pin 0 rather than pin 13. It works perfectly on the 32 bit laptop.

Trying to upload exactly the same sketch on the 64 bit laptop gives the following errors:

Sketch uses 784 bytes (9%) of program storage space. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes of dynamic memory.
/usr/share/arduino-1.6.5-r5/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/usr/share/arduino-1.6.5-r5/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -pattiny85 -carduinoisp -Uflash:w:/tmp/build6451948009948349750.tmp/attiny_blink.cpp.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 14 2015 at 19:04:16
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/usr/share/arduino-1.6.5-r5/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/home/norman/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : arduinoisp
avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x2341/0x49)

avrdude done.  Thank you.

the selected serial port 
 does not exist or your board is not connected

The usb port does exist, it is connected and the chip is in the correct way etc. I'm more than a little puzzled and internet searches havent come up with any solutions.

Any help gratefully received. If you need more info, let me know. Thanks.

Cheers, Norm.

Hi Norm, When you're using the ArduinoISP sketch on an Arduino you are using as a programmer, in the Tools, Programmer menu you need to pick "Arduino as ISP" and be sure NOT to pick "ArduinoISP". How's THAT for confusing? :-)

Hi dmjlambert,

thanks very much, that was indeed my problem. As you say, confusing!

Karma added. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Norm.