ATtiny85 Programming

Hi, I'm trying to program the ATtiny85 with the arduino UNO R3, I had the ArduinoISP sketch uploaded and i connected the ATtiny85 correctly, and i did remember to put the 10uf capacitor between reset and ground. For some reason, when I upload a sketch, even blink, it just says Uploading... and never does anything. I get no error messages, but just refuses to upload. I tried burning the Bootloader, but the I got this avrdude error.

avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

I don't know why its doing this, if somebody can tell me a way to fix this i'd gladly appreciate. Thank you in advance.

The core I'm using CodingBadly's newer core:

(deleted)

Here is the schematic:

Is there anything else in the circuit?

Mine didn’t work out with the capacitor.
I had to use a resistor between +5 and Reset
120ohms (I used a 220ohm in parallel with a 270ohm)

adding pic link

No

Over here

it seems that you have everything working now?

I'm curious: Are you using an R3 Uno?

ArduinoLLC:
No

The possibilities are...

• Wiring. Recheck the wiring. Check it again.

• Uno is auto-resetting (the capacitor disables this). Make certain the capacitor is not in place when you upload the ArduinoISP sketch then put in place after uploading the ArduinoISP sketch. Ensure the capacitor leads are making good contact. Ensure the capacitor is the correct way around.

• The target has been changed to use an external clock.

Do you have the three feedback LEDs connected to the Uno? What pattern is displayed?

Enable verbose output for uploads. Post the output.

Yea, the tone() works (yes, at last), but for some reason I can't burn the arduino Bootloader to a different ATtiny85.

Ok here it is:

When uploading ArduinoISP sketch:

Verbose Output:

/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware “/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware” -hardware “/Users/music1/Library/Arduino15/packages” -hardware “/Users/music1/Desktop/Programming/Arduino Stuff/Arduino Sketches/Arduino/hardware” -tools “/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder” -tools “/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr” -tools “/Users/music1/Library/Arduino15/packages” -built-in-libraries “/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries” -libraries “/Users/music1/Desktop/Programming/Arduino Stuff/Arduino Sketches/Arduino/libraries” -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -vid-pid=0X2341_0X0043 -ide-version=10607 -build-path “/var/folders/2_/gg5ndsf16gggn1zsj_hk5pbc0000gn/T/buildbbe2be70909750c717f21206b777c0f6.tmp” -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose “/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/examples/11.ArduinoISP/ArduinoISP/ArduinoISP.ino”
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware “/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware” -hardware “/Users/music1/Library/Arduino15/packages” -hardware “/Users/music1/Desktop/Programming/Arduino Stuff/Arduino Sketches/Arduino/hardware” -tools “/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder” -tools “/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr” -tools “/Users/music1/Library/Arduino15/packages” -built-in-libraries “/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries” -libraries “/Users/music1/Desktop/Programming/Arduino Stuff/Arduino Sketches/Arduino/libraries” -fqbn=arduino:avr:uno -vid-pid=0X2341_0X0043 -ide-version=10607 -build-path “/var/folders/2_/gg5ndsf16gggn1zsj_hk5pbc0000gn/T/buildbbe2be70909750c717f21206b777c0f6.tmp” -warnings=none -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose “/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/examples/11.ArduinoISP/ArduinoISP/ArduinoISP.ino”
Board tiny:avr:attiny85at8 doesn’t define a ‘build.board’ preference. Auto-set to: AVR_ATTINY85AT8
“/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++” -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino” “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/variants/standard” “/var/folders/2_/gg5ndsf16gggn1zsj_hk5pbc0000gn/T/buildbbe2be70909750c717f21206b777c0f6.tmp/sketch/ArduinoISP.ino.cpp” -o “/dev/null”
“/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++” -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino” “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/variants/standard” “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/libraries/SPI” “/var/folders/2_/gg5ndsf16gggn1zsj_hk5pbc0000gn/T/buildbbe2be70909750c717f21206b777c0f6.tmp/sketch/ArduinoISP.ino.cpp” -o “/dev/null”
“/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++” -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino” “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/variants/standard” “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/libraries/SPI” “/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/libraries/SPI/SPI.cpp” -o “/dev/null”
“/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++” -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino” “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/variants/standard” “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/libraries/SPI” “/var/folders/2_/gg5ndsf16gggn1zsj_hk5pbc0000gn/T/buildbbe2be70909750c717f21206b777c0f6.tmp/sketch/ArduinoISP.ino.cpp” -o “/dev/null”
“/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++” -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -w -x c++ -E -CC -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino” “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/variants/standard” “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/libraries/SPI” “/var/folders/2_/gg5ndsf16gggn1zsj_hk5pbc0000gn/T/buildbbe2be70909750c717f21206b777c0f6.tmp/sketch/ArduinoISP.ino.cpp” -o “/var/folders/2_/gg5ndsf16gggn1zsj_hk5pbc0000gn/T/buildbbe2be70909750c717f21206b777c0f6.tmp/preproc/ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp”
“/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/tools-builder/ctags/5.8-arduino5/ctags” -u --language-force=c++ -f - --c+±kinds=svpf --fields=KSTtzns --line-directives “/var/folders/2_/gg5ndsf16gggn1zsj_hk5pbc0000gn/T/buildbbe2be70909750c717f21206b777c0f6.tmp/preproc/ctags_target_for_gcc_minus_e.cpp”
“/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-g++” -c -g -Os -w -std=gnu++11 -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-threadsafe-statics -MMD -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino” “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/variants/standard” “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/libraries/SPI” “/var/folders/2_/gg5ndsf16gggn1zsj_hk5pbc0000gn/T/buildbbe2be70909750c717f21206b777c0f6.tmp/sketch/ArduinoISP.ino.cpp” -o “/var/folders/2_/gg5ndsf16gggn1zsj_hk5pbc0000gn/T/buildbbe2be70909750c717f21206b777c0f6.tmp/sketch/ArduinoISP.ino.cpp.o”
Using previously compiled file: /var/folders/2_/gg5ndsf16gggn1zsj_hk5pbc0000gn/T/buildbbe2be70909750c717f21206b777c0f6.tmp/libraries/SPI/SPI.cpp.o
“/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-gcc” -c -g -x assembler-with-cpp -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000L -DARDUINO=10607 -DARDUINO_AVR_UNO -DARDUINO_ARCH_AVR “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino” “-I/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/variants/standard” “/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/arduino/avr/cores/arduino/wiring_pulse.S” -o “/var/folders/2_/gg5ndsf16gggn1zsj_hk5pbc0000gn/T/buildbbe2be70909750c717f21206b777c0f6.tmp/core/wiring_pulse.S.o”

Errorlog.txt (32.5 KB)

Never mind all of that stuff on top because there was so much it didn't fit in on message so I made a Errorlog txt file.

For some reason it posted Errorlog on the #10 so the file should be attached on to there

The programmer (your Uno running the ArduinoISP sketch) responded as it should.

avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000 (retrying)

Wiring or clocking.

ArduinoLLC:
for some reason I can't burn the arduino Bootloader to a different ATtiny85.

Bootloader?
To an '85?

for loading program directly from a pc usb port w/o need for ftdi dongle this is required.

otherwise i see no point in serial bootloaders for tiny chips. in fact, being isp fanboy, i see no point in serial bootloaders at all. for any avr. imo just another arduino marketing ploy people took off and ran with. right off the cliff.

"Bootloading" an ATtiny in the Arduino world generally means using the Burn Bootloader function of the IDE, and with some cores a blank hex file is included as a "bootloader" but the primary function in this case is to set the fuses.

The Trinket and Digispark bootloaders are real bootloaders and used with a USB connection to upload sketches. But for just programming an ATtiny85 on a breadboard usually one would add a core to the IDE, then use an ISP programmer to Burn Bootloader (set the fuses), then use the ISP programmer to load a sketch.

What is clocking, and how can I fix this because I know for a fact that I have wired correctly

2 things you can try:

If the only thing wrong is the fuses are set for an external crystal or clock, you can send a clock signal to the XTAL1 pin of the ATtiny85 (pin 2 according to the data sheet). Use the ArduinoISP sketch to program the ATtiny85 with fuse values that don't require an external crystal or clock. Adafruit has a special version of the ArduinoISP sketch you can use that outputs a clock signal on pin 9 of the programmer Arduino.

If you have some other fuse setting that bricked the chip, such as you disabled reset, you can do high voltage programming to recover the fuses to proper values. Either one of these will work and only requires an Arduino, transistor, resistors, a 12V source, and optional LED.

or http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-unlock-Digispark-ATtiny85-and-convert-it-to/

So the issue is in the ATtiny85 not the IDE or Arduino right?

I don't know. There is no way to tell from here. If you successfully program other ATtiny85 MCU's and are just having trouble with some of them, and the ones you are having trouble with have unknown fuses set, then it could be you need to send a clock signal to them while programming them, or that you need to use high voltage programming to unlock them.