Attiny85 "shrinkifiying" problem... so frustrating

hi!, this is my first post at arduino forum, i hope is a simple question... i was trying to make that attiny programming thing, i followed all the high-low tech steps, but i cant get it to work, getting instead this error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xe0

im using attiny 85 20 PU; and the whole problem sounds to me that 'he' needs an external clock which i'm not using; anyway; in it's datasheet said that this chip has actually two timers. im completely confused; i have some experience in programming, but none in electronics and pic's. I need urgently someone to help me on what i'm doing wrong. I have searched a lot in internet, but as a demi-new technique, i can only find expert's texts for experts... thanks very much in advance

ArduinoISP version?

Board?

How did you disable auto-reset?

it is the 1.01... think it's the one said in the manual. the reset technique is also the same as told in tthet manual: a 10uf condensor between reset and GND... i've been keeping the tries over and over, getting now this exciting new error:

avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

i'm i right using no external clock for the attiny, and using the attiny85(external 20 mhz clock) selection?

Hi Joaquin,

Firstly, just to set your mind at ease, once you get this going it will be 2nd nature. I've found the Arduino-tiny core to be more forgiving (here) than the one you've cited, but your mileage may vary.

Second, there's no need for any external clock unless you absolutely need one - and since that would use 2 of the legs I'd avoid that. So unless you've set up your ATtiny to expect an external clock source the issue is elsewhere.

I may be wrong, but I typically take that error message to mean there's no response coming back from the target chip. There are a few things to check that you've completed.

Do you have the target (set under the Tools / Board menu) set to the ATtiny85 @ 8MHz? Did you do the step to 'burn the bootloader'? That actually doesn't load a bootloader onto the ATTiny but it does set some important 'fuses' inside the chip which makes it addressable by the Arduino IDE sketch later. Do you have the programmer (set under the Tools / Programmer menu) set to Arduino as ISP?

Cheers ! Geoff

Joaquin: i'm i right using no external clock for the attiny, and using the attiny85(external 20 mhz clock) selection?

Choose the 8MHz or 1MHz alternatives if you're not using an external crystal.

hey, thank you for the answer... with the 8mhz configuration i get this error:

avrdude: please define PAGEL and BS2 signals in the configuration file for part ATtiny85
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

WAT is pagel?!

When you successfully upload a sketch to the ATTiny using Arduino-as-an-ISP and the Arduino IDE for programming you will see the first of those two lines twice. That's normal, expected and means the job was done successfully. So ignore the first line, it's probably a sign you're part-way there.

The 2nd warning is interesting. Are you sure you have the right target board selected, and have you done the step using 'burn bootloader' yet?

Geoff

well, yes; this happens when trying any kind of uploading; bootloader or sketch. in this moment im starting my retry fight; im not expecting any good result

please define PAGEL and BS2 signals in the configuration file

This is to do with parallel programmers only. As we are using ISP (In Serial Programming), they are not relevant.

As a side note, to avoid confusion later on, there is a bug in the compiler shipped with Arduino which prevents programs >4k being compiled for the ATtiny85. If your program is ever larger than that, you end up with cryptic error messages. There is a patch for this issue here: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,116674.0.html
It may be worth applying it now if you haven’t already to avoid confusion (its very easy, just involves replacing one file with another).

IT WORKED! oh my god, double rainbow.... in this test i changet two things so i dont know which made the difference: made the change suggested by tom carpenter and also connected the reset condenser in other way thinking that dirctly may be not making contacts correctly due to its slim legs. well, thanks to everyone of you that gave me some guidance in this problem. i now may go forward with my project. thanks!

bump

Joaquin: IT WORKED! oh my god, double rainbow....

Good stuff :)

Joaquin: and also connected the reset condenser in other way thinking that dirctly may be not making contacts correctly due to its slim legs.

I think that's probably your answer there. If the capacitor you're using is an electrolytic type, they're polarised so it matters which way they go in.

Great you got it going ! Geoff

Has anyone had success using a Nano (v3, atmega328) to "shrinkify" an attiny85 (8mhz int osc)? Steps to "burn bootloader" or "upload using programmer" result in "not in sync: resp=0xf0". I'm using 1.0.1 and fwiw my nano's are 328p's, attiny85-20pu Also tried the 10, 22, 47 uf cap and 120 ohm resistor fixes separately. I see there is a lot of issues regarding the reset "tricks" utilized on the boards and notice that my (2)nano's have 1k and 2k for the reset pullups which is quite different from the mega2560's 10k standard schematic value. This probably only adds to the improbability that the reset fixes won't be sufficient for the nano's. Somewhere along the line I got sidetracked and started to think the solution was for better control of the reset (and power) line as described in the optiloader described here: http://www.3guys1laser.com/blog-burn-bootloader-blank-atmega328atmega328p-arduino-uno. If I build this circuit, should I be able to use it as a programmer for the attiny85's? Please chime in if you had success with a nano :~

jcobble: Has anyone had success using a Nano (v3, atmega328) to "shrinkify" an attiny85 (8mhz int osc)? Steps to "burn bootloader" or "upload using programmer" result in "not in sync: resp=0xf0". I'm using 1.0.1 and fwiw my nano's are 328p's, attiny85-20pu Also tried the 10, 22, 47 uf cap and 120 ohm resistor fixes separately. I see there is a lot of issues regarding the reset "tricks" utilized on the boards and notice that my (2)nano's have 1k and 2k for the reset pullups which is quite different from the mega2560's 10k standard schematic value. This probably only adds to the improbability that the reset fixes won't be sufficient for the nano's. Somewhere along the line I got sidetracked and started to think the solution was for better control of the reset (and power) line as described in the optiloader described here: http://www.3guys1laser.com/blog-burn-bootloader-blank-atmega328atmega328p-arduino-uno. If I build this circuit, should I be able to use it as a programmer for the attiny85's? Please chime in if you had success with a nano :~

Try this: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=arduino+isp

Thanks fungus - came to the same solution yesterday. I did have reset mis-wired but still no go upon correction. Frankly, I have an old stk200 board (1989?) and found the kanda system also rather frustrating when combating serial and parallel port OS resets to which they would always reply "ours works with no problems" - all the 1000's of customers were left to discover fixes themselves. That along with the early 2313 having eeprom memory loss (finally admitted to in an errata) led me to put the whole thing aside. I was generally pleased with the arduino experience, so now the plan of attack was 1) see if others have encountered the problem, 2) give it a good effort try but set a definite deadline (3 days), 4) give in, and buy another dedicated programmer :zipper_mouth_face: Feedback is still important though, and anyone who has had failure or success with a nano as programmer would be helpful. A few other descriptions of my system: winxp on hp laptop w/os current attiny85's bought off ebay - "new" but tried w/ and w/out xtal connected (shouldn't spi programming be unaffected by osc fuse setting? - need to find out).

So it seems like somebody came up with a working solution although I can’t follow it.
Can somebody explain what had to be done? I’ve tried the MIT dealio without any success

funkyguy4000: So it seems like somebody came up with a working solution although I can't follow it. Can somebody explain what had to be done? I've tried the MIT dealio without any success

Hi,

Do you mean have it programmed with Nano (as per the jcobble question), or working in general as per the OP?

If it's the shrinkifying to ATTiny85 as a general thing, I find most of my standalone projects go to ATTiny85 rather than ATMega328's of late so that's all good. At what point does it come unstuck, and what error are you seeing?

Geoff