ATTiny85 works with battery but not power supply!

Hello all. I just have a simple circuit on my breadboard with an ATTiny85 with the fade sketch loaded on it. Its works just fine when a 9v battery is hooked up but it does not work when I have a power supply hooked up to the board. The power supply I'm using is a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2Plus. Has multiple 9v outputs but they are all isolated. Measured voltage through the DC jack is 9.34v. Any suggestions on how I can use my power supply instead of a battery?

The important pieces of information would be:

a) How many volts is arriving at the Vcc pin of the ATtiny? b) What exactly isn't "working"?

voltage @ pin 8 is 8.18v with the battery. Voltage @ pin 8 is 9.28v with the power supply. The LED does not light up when I use the power supply, but it lights up when the battery is hooked up.

jvisman:
voltage @ pin 8 is 8.18v with the battery. Voltage @ pin 8 is 9.28v with the power supply.

Well, there’s your problem…

The ATtiny is only rated for 5.5V, it shouldn’t have worked with the battery. The extra volt must have pushed it over the edge.

PS: I’m surprised the chip survived. It should have died at those voltages.

I also tried putting a resistor between the power sorce and the vcc pin to lower the voltage. Still nothing with the power supply but the battery lights up the LED every time.

i put a 1M resistor from 9v source to the vcc pin which made the voltage 4.36v at the vcc. The LED still does not light up, when i unhook the power supply and plug in the battery the LED lights up just fine so the chip has not burned out.

jvisman: i put a 1M resistor from 9v source to the vcc pin which made the voltage 4.36v at the vcc. The LED still does not light up, when i unhook the power supply and plug in the battery the LED lights up just fine so the chip has not burned out.

How many amps is getting through that resistor? (Use Ohm's law - you know the voltage and the resistance)

.01 mA

jvisman: .01 mA

4.5V (approx) / 1000000 Ohms = 0.0045 mA = 4.5 microamps.

ie. Not enough to run an ATtiny85...

What you need is a 5V voltage regulator.

ok, just ordered. hopefully that will do the trick. thanks for your help.