Attract a mouse?

Okay, I have a question. Is there a way that I can attract a mouse? Though its funny of attracting it instead of repelling, I want to know your suggestion if you have ;D :frowning:

Our technical adviser says we can use speaker producing thin sound to attract a mouse into the trap. I dont know if he’s on his mind when he says that there is an acutal sensor attracting the mouse. Now, its our problem and I need a way to make that “mouse attractant sensor” he is referring to, in a different way.

Thank you.

this ends in Bar Sport subforum :slight_smile:

a sensor can’t attract a mouse. it can detect if it is there.
you can use tone() function or some sound library or mp3 player to make sound.
you can use LEDs to make light.
you can do ultrasonic/subsonic, infrared/ultraviolet.
you can build some smell releaser
you can build a robotic cat

but what sound, light, smell, … for that question, this is not a right forum. find some mouse expert

This is simple. First you need an ultrasonic range sensor. It doesn't really matter which type you get, but look for one of the ones that produces a ping and then listens for it. You'll want to mount it facing up. Then you need to get a jar of peanut butter and coat the whole thing with it. For extra attractant, you can add some peanuts. Just stick them to the peanut butter on the front of the sensor. You don't need to plug the sensor in at all or apply any electricity as it is really the peanut butter doing the work. Set the sensor on the ground near where you think the mice may be travelling and guaranteed they will visit the sensor.

Delta_G: This is simple. First you need an ultrasonic range sensor. It doesn't really matter which type you get, but look for one of the ones that produces a ping and then listens for it. You'll want to mount it facing up. Then you need to get a jar of peanut butter and coat the whole thing with it. For extra attractant, you can add some peanuts. Just stick them to the peanut butter on the front of the sensor. You don't need to plug the sensor in at all or apply any electricity as it is really the peanut butter doing the work. Set the sensor on the ground near where you think the mice may be travelling and guaranteed they will visit the sensor.

+1, but...

1) I thought that the requirement for the range sensor was for the ones with the screens on the front ? and you should use smooth peanut butter, you stuff it into the screens so it cannot be removed easily.

2) if you add a vibration sensor, and a stepper,

you could reel him in once the chewing vibrations were detected

Delta_G: Then you need to get a jar of peanut butter and coat the whole thing with it.

:)

Dog food and chocolate chip cookies are also good choices.

[quote author=Coding Badly link=msg=3401295 date=1504581534] chocolate chip cookies are also good [/quote]

Yeah but my wife gets real mad when the trap gets her fingers.

Juraj: you can use tone() function or some sound library or mp3 player to make sound.

I will do this with speaker right? A normal speaker or some kind of speaker?

Your research is a bit limited. Rodents use hearing to avoid predators. Smell is the attractant. Many commercial devices attempt to frighten rodents with sound, not attract them.

Paul

Smell is the attractant.

So, is there something like a speaker, and the tone function, that I can use to generate smells?

smell(smellyPin, likePeanutButter);

8)

I don't believe the mouse will be naturally attracted by sound, but it could probably be trained (with food).

I will do this with speaker right? A normal speaker or some kind of speaker?

The Arduino can make basic square-wave signals. Look at the [u]tone() function[/u] or the [u]Play Melody Example[/u].

If you want to play MP3s you need an add-on audio "shield".

The Arduino can directly drive a piezo transducer. They are only good for higher-frequencies but that should be OK for a mouse.

You can't drive a regular 4 or 8-Ohm speaker. (The minimum resistance/impedance is 125 Ohms for the for the maximum current of 40mA). You need an amplifier to drive a regular speaker, or you can use "powered" computer speakers.

Maybe a Raspberry PI?

Do they make a cheese Pi?

Yes they do :)

Cheese Pi

Paul_KD7HB: Rodents use hearing to avoid predators. Many commercial devices attempt to frighten rodents with sound, not attract them.

Is this study possible to attract a mouse using an acoustic signal?https://www.google.com/patents/WO2013173925A1?cl=en

That is a patent application. It has no validity other than some one thinks it might work and is prepared to put up some money in case it proves to be useful.

There are many books written about stupid inventions that managed to get patents.

That's not a study. It's a patent application. Research the company filing. The have NO product or web site. They are in business of filing all kinds of patents just so they can catch the unaware building an actual product and then sue them for damages.

Paul

Go to the pet store and buy a mouse.

Then dress it up real slutty.

????????

Profit.

I’m afraid I can’t do this :disappointed_relieved: :sob: I hope I can change my proposed project title without that “mouse attractant”. This is my final year project.
By the way I’m making a mouse trap with PIR Motion sensor which notify the user for every mouse falling in the container. The trap is moving too. :’( That technical adviser suggested that mouse attract to sound without hesitation :’(

OK so it is a final year project. I must have supervised about a hundred of those. The problem always is that a student thinks they should work. What is being tested is not if you can get it to work but how you go about working on your project. What methods you use, how you record the results and how you plan your experiments.

So we are telling you it will not work, that is part of your research. I would suggest that you now try and record the noise actual rodents make and see what effect this has on another group of rodents when you play the sounds back. That will be an important finding for your project and what you should do next.

I had a problem with mice in my house some years ago, and found the best bait for a standard mousetrap was a little bit of Mars bar. I suppose the US equivalent migtht be a Hershey bar.The gooey inner of the sweet stuck to the prongs of the trap perfectly. I tweaked the mechanism of the trap to be very sensitive - mind your fingers!

The cheap chocolatey smell obviously did the trick.

And they died so quickly that I could often re-set the trap ( after dumping the body outside) with the same piece 2 or 3 times - very cheap - not even a tooth mark on the chocolate covering.! Sometimes I'd not even left the room before I heard the snap of the trap. There were a lot of mice! For a while.

I ate the rest of the bar.

Allan