Audible beep module with pleasant tone or chime

As a part of an Arduino project for my car, I would like to include a pleasant sounding chime. I like using modules when I can instead of making everything from scratch. For example, I'll use Pro Mini, step down power supply, and relay modules. Is there a chime module or IC that produces a more pleasant sound that a plain beep from a piezo element or buzzer, similar to what modern cars have for a headlight reminder or key-left-in-ignition reminder? My Googling has not been fruitful in searching for one.

Google : "Arduino sound effects board"+ Adafruit

You basically need to be able to generate pure tones, not square/rectangular waves which
are full of harmonic energy and sounds harsh. ie synthesize audio.

Can make a sound with decreasing pitch, think 80's disco drum sound.

Thanks, folks, now I have something to start with. That Adafruit board looks interesting.

How about go old school and strike a chime with a solenoid? A bit bulky and power hungry but you can't beat a real chime with any digital approximation. I used to have a "Zen Alarm Clock"(actually it was my GF's, who was into that sort of new agey stuff) that had this sort of thing with a tuned chime. The only problem was it made an annoying buzz sound as the thing pulled the striker back against a spring before letting it go for the strike, I usually woke up to that instead of the nice chime. I've seen doorbell chimes that didn't do that though, on those the solenoid provided the strike impulse and the spring retracted the striker.

Look at MP3 players, so you can have virtually any sound as an alert. My nostalgic 60s guy is particularly fond of "Time to wake up sir." from the original Andromeda Strain movie.

Personally I think a recording of R. Lee Ermy from "Full Metal Jacket" yelling at the recruits in the morning would be entertaining....

raschemmel:
Personally I think a recording of R. Lee Ermy from "Full Metal Jacket" yelling at the recruits in the morning would be entertaining....

The title asks for a pleasant sound. I won't judge your preferences, but I don't think most people would feel that way about him.

I suppose you have a point there.
In that case I would recommend a Tibeten Temple bell ( about 3 feet in diameter. Seen just before the tsunami in movie Day after Tommorrow)

pert:
How about go old school and strike a chime with a solenoid?

That is a fun idea. A household wired door bell may work off of 12VDC with no modification. I'll have to try that and see what I get. I'll have to pick high tone or low tone and remove or dampen the chime bar I don't want, because I don't really want a ding-dong alert.

The Adafruit sound effects board could work, if I can get R. Lee Ermy from "Full Metal Jacket" or Miss Gladys Stevens from "Andromeda Strain" to record for me the appropriate reminder to turn off the headlights when exiting the vehicle. R. Lee Ermy yelling at me for leaving the headlights on may be more pleasant than an average plain buzzer. Not much room under the dash or under the hood for the Tibeten Temple bell, although that does sound interesting. Perhaps striking the front fender from inside the engine compartment would be just as good.

You guys are full of good ideas, or something.

"I'm sorry Dave, but it is time to wake up now .. " paraphrased from 2001 :slight_smile:

"I'm sorry Dave, but it is time to wake up now .. " paraphrased from 2001 :slight_smile:

GOOD ONE ! (how could we ever forget that !?)

Or maybe Hal could exhort you to "Turn off the pod bay lights Dave.""

Or maybe Hal could exhort you to "Turn off the pod bay lights Dave.""

I wonder how many people were inspired to learn electronics because of that movie...
For me it was "The Forbidden Planet" (1956) (I saw it in the theater when I was about 8. Had nightmares about "monsters from the ID" for a couple of weeks. You can see my AVATAR in the trailer. (15.57 seconds) ("Welcome to Altair-IV, gentleman.....for your convenience, I am monitored to respond to the name Robby ...")

Radio Shack used to sell a "ding dong" beeper but I don't know where you'd find one now...

One thing I've done when I could only make simple tones was to make a "musical" 3-note rising melody for a "pass-sound" and 3-note "non-musical" melody for a "fail-sound". If you've got a piano or keyboard handy you can try-out a few notes to find a sequence you like, then translate the [u]notes to frequency[/u] and program them with the tone() function.

You can start with the [u]Play Melody Example[/u] and shorten-simplify it for your application.

Two adjacent notes (for example C and C#) sound "sour" when played together or in sequence. (That's called a half-step). But, if you skip a note (say, play C and D) together or in sequence it sounds pleasant.

If you are not familiar with musical notation try not to get confused by the sharps (#) and flats (b). For example, there is no E# so E-to-F is a half-step and those two notes will sound sour when played together. E-to-F# is a whole step. (And, all of the notes on the piano are a half-step apart, regardless of key-color.)

Two adjacent notes (for example C and C#) sound "sour" when played together or in sequence. (That's called a half-step). But, if you skip a note (say, play C and D) together or in sequence it sounds pleasant.

If you are not familiar with musical notation try not to get confused by the sharps (#) and flats (b). For example, there is no E# so E-to-F is a half-step and those two notes will sound sour when played together. E-to-F# is a whole step. (And, all of the notes on the piano are a half-step apart, regardless of key-color.)

I paid a professional musician $40 to generate the sheet music for Star Trek Deep Space 9 from a tape recording of the theme at the beginning of the show. I took the sheet music to the library and looked up the frequencies for the 88-note equally tempered piano scale and used the frequencies to program a sound generator chip to play the entire 1 minute 35 second theme on a Heathkit ET-3400 for my DeVry Junior class Musical CLOCK project. i added a 3W audio amplifier chip and 6 inch speaker for "bells & whistles " credit.

Thanks for your ideas. I ended up getting these items:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018Q6TAEQ/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H51IQZM/
The sound module came with a small speaker and I enclosed the project in small box. I added a general purpose diode for polarity protection. I recorded this sound onto it:
https://www.freesound.org/people/Corsica_S/sounds/91926/

I’m going to install it tomorrow and see how it goes.

1.jpg

2.jpg