Audio circuit for Speakjet

I have a Sparkjet voice synthesis chip, and am anxious to "play".

I was wondering... could I just wire the Speakjet output (and ground) directly to the input of a "cheap and cheerful" set of PC active speakers? (I.e. a set of speakers with an itegrated amplifier, independent power supply... the "everyday" sort that you can buy in simple form for about $15, (and upward at many price/ fidelity points) (for playing music, games sound effects, etc) at any computer store...

... the sort you just plug into.... a) the computer's "audio out" socket and b) the household electricity.)

The Sparkfun documentation suggests some 27k resistors, 0.01uf caps, and a 50k pot which I don't have. Do I REALLY have to go find those before I can (safely!) play? (I appreciate that I will get BETTER sounds out of it with the resistors/ caps.)

In an alternate circuit, they just connect a "120 ohm speaker/ earphones", "max 25ma" directly to the chip. Would simple "MP3 player" earphones be suitable?

Thoughts appreciated, but lest I fry the output of the Sparkfun through impatience, please make clear if you are "quessing it would probably be okay", or pretty sure, from a position of knowledge!

Answer to RC's "1": Yes, that's the one. Sorry... relied on the trademark, and the good relations between Sparkfun and many people on this forum to "cover" "what is a Sparkjet"... but I agree the reference would have been helpful.

Answer to RC's "2": No, using a ModernDevice RBBB.

Re- "3": Thank you!

It costs peanuts for the handful of components to do it properly so that would be my suggestion. Don't rush into it like a bull at a gate or you might ending up releasing the magic smoke.

Here's where my playing with the Speakjet has got me so far. It's a pretty neat little chip.

Cheers,

There's a project in Practical Arduino that shows how to connect up a Speakjet to an Arduino - in fact I assume it's what the Sparkfun shield was loosely based on, Nathan from Sparkfun was a technical reviewer for Practical Arduino and a little while after it hit the shelves Sparkfun came out with that shield with a very similar circuit.

There's a schematic of the output filter / amplifier available from the project page, and the project description in the book explains how to connect it to powered PC speakers. The schematic may be helpful:

http://www.practicalarduino.com/projects/speech-synthesizer

Jon Freetronics: www.freetronics.com

Sorry for barging in here, but I just received the Sparkfun Voice Box shield you're talking about, and I was wondering in anyone here has any experience programming it in conjunction with the Arduino? (Actually, I'm using the Japanese version, the Japanino.) I've been able to make it talk, but I'd like to speed up the learning curve if possible. Thanks.

there is a cheap audio board on futurlec.

Sorry for barging in here, but I just received the Sparkfun Voice Box shield you're talking about, and I was wondering in anyone here has any experience programming it in conjunction with the Arduino? (Actually, I'm using the Japanese version, the Japanino.) I've been able to make it talk, but I'd like to speed up the learning curve if possible. Thanks.

What exactly are you trying to achieve? You've read the datasheet/userguide? It's quite helpful in understanding how it all hangs together.

Cheers,