Audio Output

I have an Arduino Uno, and a sparkfun voicebox shield (SparkFun VoiceBox Shield - DEV-10661 - SparkFun Electronics)for my project. I want the Arduino to be able to output about 30 different audio files, (each are going to be very small about 2 seconds max). So I pose a few questions:

1. Do I have the correct hardware or do I need additional hardware.
  2. What type of code do I need? Do I need to write a play() function? Or are there some functions already out there and a simple library that I need to find. Any guidance would be very helpful!

Do I have the correct hardware

No.
You need this:-
http://www.ladyada.net/make/waveshield/

What type of code do I need?

Start with the sample code and change it to your exact needs.

Grumpy_Mike:

What type of code do I need?

Start with the sample code and change it to your exact needs.

Where is this sample code?

I want my Arduino to have 30 possible circuits that are to be completed. Once each circuit is completed, it will output a different audio file. Will this work?

Where is this sample code?

On the Lady Ada web site.

Once each circuit is completed, it will output a different audio file. Will this work?

Yes very simply.

With this shield I made a MIDI receiver that played a sample depending on the MIDI note number received. It is trivial to change this to a contact input. In fact I think that was a sample program I started from.
You will need a shift register or two to get 30 switch contacts into an arduino but that is well documented as well.

Grumpy_Mike:

Once each circuit is completed, it will output a different audio file. Will this work?

Yes very simply.

With this shield I made a MIDI receiver that played a sample depending on the MIDI note number received. It is trivial to change this to a contact input. In fact I think that was a sample program I started from.
You will need a shift register or two to get 30 switch contacts into an arduino but that is well documented as well.

I have four shift registers already but thank you for your guidance. I was going in the complete wrong direction the last few days so i think that I will take a day off then restart!

sub'ing to thread..

Im going to be tearing apart the WaveShield code examples in the next couple weeks myself..

so figured I'd join this thread to follow along.

@ Mike-

since you have some experience with this shield.. and the software (based off WaveHC Im assuming?)

I was wondering if you have any insight to getting a 'seamless' loop going here..

poking around ..suggestions lead me to believe it wont be hard an looking at the playComplete() and playFile() functions are where to start..since playComplete() loads the file each time.. I was told?

but a quick look has me confused.. as playComplete() really doesnt look to do ANYTHING but be a buffer/intermediate call to playFIle()?

anyways..

looking forward to you results.

thanks!