Audio spectrum with leds

For a while I've been searching about that project.

Planning to build something like that; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ele4YWKNaWM

Apparently what I need is MSGEQ7 chip for analyzing the spectrum in 7 different range; A demultiplexer, since I'll need a lot of output to run many LEDs;

One more thing that I need is having the audio signal in. I don't know what this input socket for 3.5mm jack is called but I believe there must be a type of component to place on breadboard, right ?

Basic components aside, do you think I might need any other specific component or do you suggest any thing before I start ?

Thank you.

A demultiplexer, since I'll need a lot of output to run many LEDs;

No do not use a demultiplexer for driving lots of outputs use shift registers. It looks like the LEDs are also dimmed is that what you want?

Apparently what I need is MSGEQ7 chip for analyzing the spectrum in 7 different range;

I don't see 7 channels on the video.

I don't know what this input socket for 3.5mm jack is called

Oddly enough it is called a 3.5mm Jack socket.

but I believe there must be a type of component to place on breadboard

I would not recommend bread board it is too unreliable in my opinion.

do you think I might need any other specific component or do you suggest any thing before I start ?

How are your coding skills? Get them good before embarking on something like this. Also have a clear idea of the specification of what you are trying to do not just a woolly idea. Good luck.

Apparently what I need is MSGEQ7 chip for analyzing the spectrum in 7 different range;

Like most things with computers, you can so something with hardware or you can mimic the hardware in software. The next link uses a mathematical technique mimic a physical chip: http://fftarduino.blogspot.com/2011/02/color-organ-spectrum-analyzer-on.html

Quote do you think I might need any other specific component or do you suggest any thing before I start ? How are your coding skills? Get them good before embarking on something like this.

I am going to be even more direct: if you review the code of some online projects and you do not understand every section, back off as you are not prepared. These projects can become expensive and you may become very frustrated as you seek help but are unable to be explicit about your issue(s). Forums work best when you apcan articulate your specific issue and then assimilate the responds. Things go downhill and deteriorate when an Op is both unable to explain and to grasp concepts and details.

Ray