Augmented Reality

I have been making a Google Glass with arduino and i have been wondering about turning your arduino into a augmented reality machine. I have serched for this but all I can seem to find is using your arduino and computer to make augmented reality.If a iphone or ipad can make augmented reality i don't know why a arduino cannot, essentially you can do everything that iphone douse with a arduino. if anybody has any ideas please comment or a link to a page witch has some helpful information.

It would need to run on a arduino uno.

many thanks.

An iPhone an iPad are computers.
The Arduino Nano is a microcontroller, it can turn on leds and relays, and do some timing.

Koepel:
An iPhone an iPad are computers.
The Arduino Nano is a microcontroller, it can turn on leds and relays, and do some timing.

sorry i meant a arduino uno

The Arduino Uno is almost the same as the Arduino Nano. They both use the ATmega328P microcontroller.

essentially you can do everything that iphone douse with a arduino.

you kidding :grinning: ?

arduino uno has an atmega328p microcontroler, iphones have processors like this one a9

can everyone stop saying how stupid I am and start suggesting ways to do augmented reality on arduiunos ( mega , uno , micro or otherwise ).

You cannot do "augmented reality" using an Arduino. Stop wasting your time, as Google did creating the failed Google Glass.

1234567891012151617:
can everyone stop saying how stupid I am

You are the only using the word “stupid” so stop using that word.

and start suggesting ways to do augmented reality on arduiunos ( mega , uno , micro or otherwise ).

None of those is capable of display. A key element for “augmented reality”. Find the display you plan to use then report back.

i don't know why a arduino cannot, essentially you can do everything that iphone douse with a arduino.

You're absolutely right, if you ignore one of the dimensions of the problem - time.

Somewhere on the web (here) there's an article about someone who wrote an ARM emulator for the AVR, and managed to boot a Linux image from SD card.
I think from power-on to login prompt was something like two hours (And that was a serial driven command line, not a graphical one)

can everyone stop saying how stupid

I don't see where anyone called you stupid.

You may want to tell us what you mean by "Augmented Reality" - because that term can cover a lot.

At it smallest - an LED (or a small LED array) could be reflected into the eye via a half-silvered mirror or prism, to give a very basic display; one dot (maybe multi-colored), or many-dots (forming small patterns). This tiny "display" would "augment" the "reality" you would see around you through/around the display mirror/prism.

This could be expanded further with a small dot-matrix LCD display - again, reflected in some manner into the eye. This would allow longer messages, and simple graphics.

Next would be a color LCD display - slightly higher resolution; something like this would be at the limit an Arduino could comfortably drive (likely via SPI).

That wouldn't include any sensing, processing, or storage; depending on what you want your augmented reality display to do - only a little to maybe some of the processing could be done by the Arduino; the rest would have to come from somewhere else.

For instance - if you had your Arduino connected via Bluetooth to your phone, and the phone could send commands to tell the display what to do - while leaving all the heavy lifting (sensors, data, storage, etc) to the phone - and the display was fairly basic - then yes, your Arduino could in some small manner be used for a portion of the augmented reality system.

On the other hand - if you are expecting the Arduino to have full 3D graphic overlays with texturing at 100+ frames-per-second - that is not going to happen; you would need to find another platform to give you that capability.

So - what is it you expect or want the Arduino to do in your system?

Hi,

What is your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

Tom.... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,

What is your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

This, from another post

Hi,

Thanks AWOL, I don't see why we need to Augmented Reality?
My reality is pretty scary at anytime without Augmenting it.

cr0sh:
So - what is it you expect or want the Arduino to do in your system?

I was thinking of displaying a 3d image from augmented reality on a oled screen , you said how this is impossible, how could i make this maybe not with the arduino?

thank you for your response

1234567891012151617:
I was thinking of displaying a 3d image from augmented reality on a oled screen , you said how this is impossible, how could i make this maybe not with the arduino?

thank you for your response

Sure, maybe a Raspberry PI.

can everyone stop saying how stupid I am and start suggesting ways to do augmented reality on arduiunos ( mega , uno , micro or otherwise ).

I believe the responses have indicated that the arduinos you mentioned lack the processing power and memory to handle video, which requires a very high clock frequency and plenty of memory. iPhones come with a minium of 16Gb. How many arduinos come with 16Gb ? Do you see why your request is prompting the responses you are getting ? (like "you're kidding ?"

Hi,
1234567891012151617, can you please answer post #10.
This because we have no idea of your knowledge level.
This will help us explain why the arduino is not suitable for your project.

Thanks.. Tom..... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
1234567891012151617, can you please answer post #10.
This because we have no idea of your knowledge level.
This will help us explain why the arduino is not suitable for your project.

Thanks.. Tom..... :slight_smile:

I am realy just starting out I was wandering if this project could be done. so i would not waste my time

This is not a 'just starting out' project on any platform. I suggest you seek out some of the beginning tutorials and go from there. They may seem simplistic but there is a world of difference between watching a video, reading a tutorial, whatever and actually starting do design and build circuits.

I've watched people run marathons on TV so I should be able to run one, right? This is actually NOT an over simplification. Both take a lot of prep work.

outofoptions:
This is not a 'just starting out' project on any platform. I suggest you seek out some of the beginning tutorials and go from there. They may seem simplistic but there is a world of difference between watching a video, reading a tutorial, whatever and actually starting do design and build circuits.

I've watched people run marathons on TV so I should be able to run one, right? This is actually NOT an over simplification. Both take a lot of prep work.

can you suggest any tutorials?