auto-editing code

Hi, I'm new here, but i wanted to make some sort of tablet/laptop that is meant for the sole purpose of programming in c/c++, so what i need to know is can any arduino edit its own code that is input by the user, or can it make c++ files you can save somewhere and run later? (can I edit code without a computer hooked up to the arduino and how)

can any arduino edit its own code

No - the code is compiled before it is put onto an arduino, it never sees any source code.

or can it make c++ files you can save somewhere and run later?

No.

can I edit code without a computer hooked up to the arduino

No.

Simply put, there is no C++ in an arduino. It,s binary when it is downloaded by the computer.

You should also bear in mind that the Atmega micro-processors have their program and their working RAM in different logical compartments so that the program cannot change the code.

…R

I could just about conceive of a line editor device implemented on an Arduino with an SD card for storage and some sort of simple display and keyboard, but it would be a huge effort to implement and barely worth it. What would be even more tedious would be implementing an emulator (ARM, x86, whatever) to run the gcc compiler on such a device.

What about various parameters stored in EEPROM? Sure, the code would have to be inside from the beginning but with enough foresight you could have a very flexible code.