Auto indexing a cars power windows

I am trying to create the auto indexing feature that some newer GM vehicles have, but only on a older GM car. I would to be able to lower either one or both power windows just enough to clear the door seal when the door is opened, then raise the window after the door is closed.
The window only needs to drop a half or so to clear the seal. In looking for help on what kind of arduino board to use, and the coding. I have an idea of the coding i think may work.

Any help to this rookie with wierd ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I am trying to create the auto indexing feature that some newer GM vehicles have, but only on a older GM car. I would to be able to lower either one or both power windows just enough to clear the door seal when the door is opened, then raise the window after the door is closed.
The window only needs to drop a half or so to clear the seal. In looking for help on what kind of arduino board to use, and the coding. I have an idea of the coding i think may work.

Any help to this rookie with wierd ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

first, you need to be able to determine, with hardware, when the door is about to be opened. that's a tough one.... how does GM do it? is door closed or open, if closed, is door locked or unlocked and is the door handle being touched (not yet pulled)? having the correct logic combination of that,,, then operate the window mechanism, assuming you know the window position and how far it will move per unit of time, and how to detect when it its closed.

and that is just for starters.

does not really sound like a 'rookie' project to me, but good luck.

The window only needs to drop a half or so to clear the seal.

Half a what? Half a pound? Half a micron? Half a light year? Half a bomb?

I doubt that the newer cars actually measure how far the window drops. They, more likely, simply run the motor for a fixed period of time.

Before you even think about which Arduino to use, do you have any idea how to get at the wiring in the car so that you can generate whatever signal is required to make the windows go up and down?

I have an idea of the coding i think may work

OK, so tell us about this idea.

Pete

@Ckoz, do not cross-post. Threads merged.

Ckoz,

I wonder if this car uses a CAN bus to manage the windows… You’ll need to determine that first before you break into the electronics.

If it does, that will greatly change your approach.

Pat.