Auto throotle petrol car

Had injured my left knee a few years ago. Clutch operation has been painful ever since.An automatic car is not within my means as of now. I am trying to design an automated clutch system for my car.
The clutch pedal has to depress when brake pedal is applied at speeds below 20kmph. When brake pedal is released, the clutch pedal shud come to the biting point. Touching the accelerator pedal shud engage the clutch fully. Braking at high speeds shud keep the clutch engaged until speed falls below 20 kmph.
The motor will be abt 100-150 watts. It shud have good holding torque to hold the clutch pedal midway at the biting point.
Can anyone help me design this?

sankyp19:
I am trying to design an automated clutch system for my car.
The clutch pedal has to depress when brake pedal is applied at speeds below 20kmph. When brake pedal is released, the clutch pedal shud come to the biting point. Touching the accelerator pedal shud engage the clutch fully. Braking at high speeds shud keep the clutch engaged until speed falls below 20 kmph.
The motor will be abt 100-150 watts. It shud have good holding torque to hold the clutch pedal midway at the biting point.

That will be very difficult to create. Humans have extraordinary feedback sensing that allows them to operate a clutch effectively.

Also, see what I said about insurance in Reply #6. Just imagine the consequences if your clutch system fails and the car shoots forward at a pedestrian crossing outside a school.

Just buy a cheap used automatic.

...R

Is only a clutch actuator. The throttle is still in my control. So the car wont shoot forward in any case. If at all any failure happens, it will be at standstill in gear 1 and the car will stall. Insurance is not an issue as its an added accesory not covered in India.

There are similar systems available but not where I stay. Chinese sustems have questionable reliability and prices are sky high.

I am good with the mechanical n fabrication part. Dumb with programming. Also what motor will be needed is a confusion for me.... dc, servo, stepper... Need help here.

sankyp19:
Is only a clutch actuator. The throttle is still in my control. So the car wont shoot forward in any case.

What has your insurance company said about it?

What will the judge say?

...R

Robin2:
What has your insurance company said about it?

What will the judge say?

…R

I m not sure why there is so much fear around what I m trying to do. All I need is help with the coding n type of motor to be used. The rest I can manage.

To give you an idea, here is a video link of the product. Not available where I live.

I m not sure why there is so much fear around what I m trying to do.

Because Safety and Liability are serious business. @Robin is right your insurance would be canceled. The product in that video had to go through extensive safety testing and if you go to their website you'll find the certificates posted as required by law. http://www.vos.be/category.php?c=15&language=en Your device would require those same type of certificates to be legally allowed on public roads.

Here in India, insurance is not a concern really. I just have to show it to the insurance agent n he will let me know if that will be covered or not. Any aftermarket accesories or mods are mentioned in the insurance certificate.

My concern still remains the motor n the programming. I really hope I get some help here.

I just have to show it to the insurance agent n he will let me know if that will be covered or not.

Do yourself a favor and ask your agent before you waste time/money on this idea.

I can manage all that. Legal n insurance is not a problem for me. I only need help with the programming n the motor. If I cnt use it in the car I will give it to my kid to learn it.

Now plz, only advise on the things I need.

sankyp19:
Now plz, only advise on the things I need.

I am certainly not prepared to give advice about such a dangerous project - even if you had a waiver from your insurance company.

In any case, you know absolutely nothing about me and, for all you know, the advice I might give would be even more dangerous than your own ideas. I have no professional qualifications. Arduinos are a hobby.

...R

Hi,
Usually any car setup for disabled use and with a manual transmission, is fitted with a hand operated clutch if the driver has full use of his/her upper limbs.
This way you will get smooth operation and control.

google
disabled car manual clutch control

For some other ideas.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Robin2:
I am certainly not prepared to give advice about such a dangerous project - even if you had a waiver from your insurance company.

In any case, you know absolutely nothing about me and, for all you know, the advice I might give would be even more dangerous than your own ideas. I have no professional qualifications. Arduinos are a hobby.

...R

This is not a dangerous project. For some reason you assumed its dangerous. Its a commercially available mod. Just not available where I live. Similar mods are done on cars for people with physical handicap.

TomGeorge:
Hi,
Usually any car setup for disabled use and with a manual transmission, is fitted with a hand operated clutch if the driver has full use of his/her upper limbs.
This way you will get smooth operation and control.

google
disabled car manual clutch control

For some other ideas.

Tom… :slight_smile:

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I have been trying to research the same but found limited info. I felt arduino wud be a cheap solution, which I can just junk if it doesnt work.

I m very disappointed here for people refusing to help, assuming that a simple improvisation will become a dangerous project even though its not.

This is not a dangerous project.

Yes It is. Thats why the commercial product(and your device too) has to go through rigorious testing and certification before it is allowed on the road.

We are also disappointed that you can't seem to understand this.

sankyp19:
Had injured my left knee a few years ago. Clutch operation has been painful ever since.An automatic car is not within my means as of now. I am trying to design an automated clutch system for my car.

I'm also looking for the same. I am not an expert but I have the idea without details. I would like to share with you what I have in mind. Maybe I can help you the start your project and in return you could also help me when it's my turn to make it.

First thing first is safety. We need to make sure that when this device fails the clutch should work 100% by foot and would not stuck in any position.

Here's my idea. Let's start with the basic functionality.

1. A push-button switch, an arduino, a stepper motor and a stepper motor driver. You can search the internet how to wire them together. Mount the switch on the stick handle. You have to options on how to move your clutch pedal...pull down using a cable or push down using a lever.
    For the code. It should be something like you can adjust the motor's speed, rotation and the right stop position.
    Here's how it works. When you press the pbswitch the motor would pull or push the clutch pedal down (depending on your set-up). When you release the pbswitch the motor will return to its original position and so does the clutch.

2. A joystick, an arduino, a stepper motor and a stepper motor driver. This one is a bit advanced than the first one. With the same hardware setup you can control the position of the clutch based on the position of the joystick. There are lots of videos showing a stepper motor mimicking the movement of a potentiometer. The joystick is just a pot. You can control the clutch excatly where you would want it to be (biting point?) You could also add 3 LEDs (Green, Orange, Red or whatever color you like) that would let you know the position of the clutch pedal. Like green = clutch pedal is not pushed down, red = pedal is fully pushed down and orange = clutch is at the biting point.

Why stepper motor? IMHO this is the safest choice as it can hold its position when there's power but can be rotated with less effort when the power is cut. You can safely switch this device off regardless of the position of the motor/clutch pedal.

Be aware, never use a motor with worm gear as it locks up when the power is cut. It will hold your clutch pedal in the exact position when the device failed.

The other functions you need require multiple inputs to the arduino. I hope someone can chip in. You can also use rpm instead of speed.

The other way this can be done is with a servo in the clutch line. It was done very effectively for a disabled owner by Fuzz Townsend on the Car SOS series. It made it very light to operate the clutch but still perfectly safe.

I agree with everyone else, the mechanics of a road going motor vehicle are not the place for experimentation.

AJLElectronics:
The other way this can be done is with a servo in the clutch line. It was done very effectively for a disabled owner by Fuzz Townsend on the Car SOS series. It made it very light to operate the clutch but still perfectly safe.

I agree with everyone else, the mechanics of a road going motor vehicle are not the place for experimentation.

Thanks. I will try it when I build my own. But it should be hand-operated with a joystick. Just the basic like this video.

I totally agree and respect the opinions and the safety concerns of the others. But would it be better to guide us how to do it right than leaving us alone which will eventually build it in our own way? Just my 2¢.

sankyp19:
This is not a dangerous project.

Of course it is.

imnew:
But would it be better to guide us how to do it right than leaving us alone which will eventually build it in our own way?

No. Well not on a hobby forum anyway. Imagine if someone gave you advice in good faith, which turned out to be dangerously flawed, and neither you nor the OP nor anyone else noticed it was a bad idea.

I'm an engineer (not electrical or mechanical) but would not give advice on this here even if electro-mechanics was my discipline. Engineering design for a safety critical product requires rigour. It requires formal requirements specification, it requires formal peer review of the design, it requires formal rigourous testing. It requires all sorts of things which are not appropriate or available on a hobby forum.

imnew:
But would it be better to guide us how to do it right than leaving us alone which will eventually build it in our own way?

Its just not possible to reduce relativly complex projects to simple A,B,C type tutorials. A tutorial cannot provide the appropriate level of experience that those understanding such projects should have.

Publish a tutorial or detailed instructions and there will be people with no experience (beleive it or not) that will attempt the same project, people could die.

There are some projects whereby if you need to ask the detail of how to achieve something, then you propbably do not have enough experience to complete the project safely.

Thank you guys for chipping in. Although I respect all your opinion but I still don't get it specially in this particular project. What could possibly go wrong if someone chooses to depress the clutch pedal with a switch instead of his foot? I can understand messing up your brake and accelerator may put you in danger but for the clutch? I have seen drivers shift their cars to neural when slowing down to stop with the speed still @ 50kph. To be honest I've never heard of any accident caused by a clutch failure. :wink: