Automate a Newtonian telescope

Hi, I'm thinking to automate my okd newtonian bresser telescope with Arduino, but i never used it, i've only a bit of knowledge about basical electronic and c++/Java. My project is to mount two motor, forum the horizontal and for the verticale movement. I would control all from a PC in remote. The coordinates for the pointing system would be provided by "Stellarium". It's possibile this? If yes, what are your suggestions? Sorry for my english, i'm italian :sweat_smile: Thank you!

You'll need stepper motors (2), and drivers, with gearing; a way to center the scope on the Polar star at startup; an equatorial mount which will accept the gearing; an interface between the arduino and the PC, and the arduino and the scope servos; an outdoor power supply,,, at the least.

Forget the arduino. buy a 'go to equitorial' mount for your scope and some off the shelf software to drive it from your PC.

This is one of those projects that sounds simple but in fact is very difficult. I have a book on this written many years ago by an Author called Trueblood called computer control of a telescope. That goes into more detail that I could possible go into here. A lot of the problems are mechanical.

There are lots and lots of sites that show what people have done and how to do it.

you did not tell us the size, but a barn door would be easiest for short star gazing as the error increases over time. the complete barn door extends that quite a bit. http://davetrott.com/inventions/double-arm-barn-door-drive/

this is more of a large scope option :

http://members.ziggo.nl/jhm.vangastel/Astronomy/50cmscope/computerized.htm

has a few links to other people who have done just this.

Are you up for the mechanical part? I have been following this stuff for over forty years. So much of the mechanism is done simply and cheaply, but always with great skill. iI'm not familiar with your tewlescope, but I suspect newtonian implies that you need more than a simple barn door.The arduino control is the easy bit.

most of the options are to either track a section of the sky or do a full rotation type. heliostats are simple motor and rods and can track almost the entire sky, horizon to horizon

if you want, you can use a router or dremel. put an axis in a piece of wood and make a circle. make two more that are larger. the width of the first board is to be the same width as two thread rods inlaid together. this becomes your main gear. and they are fixed in that slot of the 3 pieces sandwiched together. your stepper and a 3rd threaded rod completes the worm gear and you have the ability to have a very simple one afternoon of work to make a very high ratio worm gear.

http://kindellism.webs.com/diyhomemadewormgears.htm

while I agree that a high precision, high quality device would require lots of time an patience, probably some quality machine tools, but in the end a lifetime piece of machinery. these cheap assemblies should last quite a while and allow you to experience the fun side of your hobby much quicker than grinding your own lenses.

fun fact, if the main mirror on the Hubble were as large at the gulf of mexico, the perfection of the glass to it's desired curve would be less than the height of a dime !

Lore9826: Hi, I'm thinking to automate my okd newtonian bresser telescope with Arduino, but i never used it, i've only a bit of knowledge about basical electronic and c++/Java. My project is to mount two motor, forum the horizontal and for the verticale movement. I would control all from a PC in remote. The coordinates for the pointing system would be provided by "Stellarium". It's possibile this? If yes, what are your suggestions? Sorry for my english, i'm italian :sweat_smile: Thank you!

Do a search for 'barndoor telescope mount'

Chuck.