Automate office

Notice: I’ve little to none electrical skills skills so please don’t shoot me!
I’m building a new home office and I’d like to automate it.

Primary goals:
Unlock door
Control power outlets (2 + 2)
Control lights

Materials:
1x Arduino Ethernet
3x 230v AC Relay (12v Coil)
1x Electric Lock
4x 2N2222A Transistor
4x Diodes
4x 10k Resistors

Questions
Since I’ve very little experience with electrical circuits I’ve some questions, hope someone can help!

I got a door lock which needs a 8-12v impulse for less than 1 second to unlock, so there’s no need for a 12v Relay + Power Source, right?
Since the power is fed via ethernet should I take any additional precautions?
Any recommendations to prevent me from damaging my Arduino other than using the diodes on each digital output?

I’d like to keep it as simple as possible so I’m thinking in using a telnet interface to issue the commands.

Simple schema attached

I got a door lock which needs a 8-12v impulse for less than 1 second to unlock, so there's no need for a 12v Relay + Power Source, right?

The Arduino cannot deliver above 5V so I think a separate power supply and relay (12V with appropiate diode) make perfect sense .

I like to do a home automation project soon.
Control it from a 7" Android.

I agree, you will need a relay and external power source which could be a 12 volt battery and the x10's can do the rest.
I'm thinking of using x10 modules. Search this site and google for more info.

Which electric lock are you using?
Relays are cheap.
Usually the lock action is on the door. Is yours in the door frame?
Do you need wireless ethernet or xbee?

Randy

RandyMan:
Which electric lock are you using?
Usually the lock action is on the door. Is yours in the door frame?

I'm using an electric lock from TESA, not sure the model and yes, it's inside the door frame but I should be able to run two wires without much trouble

RandyMan:
Do you need wireless ethernet or xbee?

The arduino is going to share a derivation box with an ethernet switch so it has ethernet connectivity.

RandyMan:
I'm thinking of using x10 modules. Search this site and google for more info.

I'll search for those :slight_smile: