Automated testing

Hi

I would like to know how I could develop automated testing for PCB's and hardware modules in Arduino. I am using a arduinoMega 2560 board . Could you please attach some link which I could use ? Is ArduinoUnit good for this ?

Bare board or populated / functional testing?

Is this a homework question?

Hi first bare board to make sure the PCB is functioning properly and make sure all pins are working .

I am using I2C master slave where there is one master and three slaves. The slaves operate the stepper motors when the master gives a command.

I would like to test each component automatically and see if they are functioning properly .

This is a project which i am working on .

anishh2003: I would like to test each component automatically and see if they are functioning properly .

You also need a test to see if the testing system is functioning properly. And then a test to see if this test is working. And so on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursion

Hi Nick .

So this would mean I cant use ArduinoUnit for testing . And also I would have to come up with my own testing platform ? Would there be any arduino emulators which could do this for me ?

anishh2003: So this would mean I cant use ArduinoUnit for testing .

What is this ArduinoUnit of which you speak?

And also I would have to come up with my own testing platform ?

Not sure what you mean. Test what?

Hi Arduino Unit is an on-chip unit testing framework for Arduino libraries. http://guardbyte.com/posts/2009/06/13/

or would you suggest how exactly I go abt doing this ? I would like the arduino to check if all the components of the system are working properly by itself , without the user having to type in options or commands everytime .

anishh2003: I would like to know how I could develop automated testing for PCB's and hardware modules in Arduino.

ArduinoUnit looks as if it is intended to allow the Arduino to do a self test. That doesn't sound like the sort of thing you're trying to do, although I can't be sure because you've given almost no detail about what you're trying to do.

I suggest you take the following approach:

Decide what you are trying to achieve. Identify the problems and issues that your solution needs to overcome. Decide how to resolve each problem. Design, implement and test your solution.

For example: what are you trying to achieve? Test one "PCB and hardware module"? Test multiple similar ones? (At what speed?) Test different ones? (How will the test criteria for new modules be defined?) What do you mean by 'test'? What types of faults do you intend to test for?