Automatic Component Drawer

I have an idea using a servo and an arduino with keypad where I could punch in the value of a resistor and have a "barrel" spin to the right place, and the drawer open to said component. How feasible is this? Not being a good coder, any ideas how to establish a "map" of where components are for the Arduino? Also, how to make an intuitive keypad UI?

Thanks, Mac

themacman33: I have an idea using a servo and an arduino with keypad where I could punch in the value of a resistor and have a "barrel" spin to the right place, and the drawer open to said component. How feasible is this?

By barrel, I presume you mean a 'lazy Susan' (rotating table) type layout with several layers of drawers to hold all the different values of resistor. You'll need a servo for each layer of drawers or one servo on a linear actuator to lift it to the required layer. You'll also need a stepper motor to turn the table so that the required drawer is in front of the servo (and in front of you!).

Have you thought about how the drawers will be closed after use? Manually or by the servo? If by the servo, you'll need some method of attaching the servo to the drawer so that it can pull it shut and then releasing so that it can move to the next drawer.

Your input requirements will depend on whether the equipment can be directly connected to a PC and you make your selection using the PC keyboard or can be wirelessly controlled by a PC or you want it to be totally self contained with its own keypad.

The resistor values/ drawer placements can be held in an array. Look up the value in the array and the position will be in the array at the same place. EG. 150K27 =150KOhms are in layer 2, drawer 7.

Yes, I mean he lazy Susan type thing. I was thinking it would just select the drawer for me, I would open it , take a resistor out, then close it. I am dialing the value in with a 12 key keypad that I have laying around. I have most of the hardware down, I just need a basis for the software.

Could you elaborate more on that array idea? I don't entirely follow...

Thanks! -Mac

Having to type numbers in seems very cumbersome. In the ‘mark 2’ version you might consider having something that you can just spin to select the resistor rating that you want. Perhaps you would make it reasonably big for convenience - let’s say roughly as big as the barrel you want to control. Do you see where I’m going here?

PeterH: Having to type numbers in seems very cumbersome. In the 'mark 2' version you might consider having something that you can just spin to select the resistor rating that you want. Perhaps you would make it reasonably big for convenience - let's say roughly as big as the barrel you want to control. Do you see where I'm going here?

An edgewise control with the values written on it...

Henry_Best: An edgewise control with the values written on it...

... that's about the same size as the carousel that you want to have turned ...

PeterH:

Henry_Best: An edgewise control with the values written on it...

... that's about the same size as the carousel that you want to have turned ...

...A low current device...