Automatic Dog Feeder Project

Hello Arduino community, how are all of you today? 8)

I am currently working on building an automatic dog feeder with Arduino. I am currently testing the different tools an automatic dog feeder has, like a motor, alarm, LCD screen, and etc. However, I am not sure how to combine all these components together. Will I have to get more Arduino boards, or could I just use one to make an automatic dog feeder? Sorry to be so inexperienced; I just started. :sweat_smile:

Thanks,
FattyPatty01

FattyPatty01:
Hello Arduino community, how are all of you today? 8)

I am currently working on building an automatic dog feeder with Arduino. I am currently testing the different tools an automatic dog feeder has, like a motor, alarm, LCD screen, and etc. However, I am not sure how to combine all these components together. Will I have to get more Arduino boards, or could I just use one to make an automatic dog feeder? Sorry to be so inexperienced; I just started. :sweat_smile:

Thanks,
FattyPatty01

Only one board. Arduino UNO is going to be enough.

Motor: 1 digital pin
LC: 6 digital pin
alarm: 1 digital pin
sum: 8 digital pins.

Arduino UNO has 12 digital pins and 6 analog pins (which can be digital too).

You have at least 4 pins remaining to add more stuff.

"I am not sure how to combine all these components together" I hardly recommend learning about each component separately, and when you understand them all, then put it altogether. You have to learn a bit about transistors, pin safe current, datasheets, and more..

Thanks a lot! I have a clear idea of what to do now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

For projects like this, the "pro mini" ($3) is suitable. (it needs an inexpensive interface for programming)
It may be smart to choose a serial display to save datalines.
A feeder can be driven by a stepper, a servo or a DC motor. I believe you will get the most control if a servo or stepper is used.
(any motor will require an additional controller board , depending of type and size of motor)
A stepper is easily harvested from a defective laserprinter/scanner.
draw/solve the mecanical part of your project - then select motor based on what type of movement is required.

knut_ny:
For projects like this, the "pro mini" ($3) is suitable. (it needs an inexpensive interface for programming)
It may be smart to choose a serial display to save datalines.
A feeder can be driven by a stepper, a servo or a DC motor. I believe you will get the most control if a servo or stepper is used.
(any motor will require an additional controller board , depending of type and size of motor)
A stepper is easily harvested from a defective laserprinter/scanner.
draw/solve the mecanical part of your project - then select motor based on what type of movement is required.

Thanks for the advice! In fact, I was just testing a servo motor yesterday, and plan to use it in my project.

seems like a good choice.
this example will feed a fixed amount in each movement.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILbAYpr1Us0

servo: choose quality - many chineese are poorly built.

You might need some kind time of timing too- perhaps look at Real Time Clock (RTC) chips like the DS1307 and others, for which there are lots of code and libraries.

Without an RTC, Arduino timing is simply a number of seconds since power-up or reset, which bears no relationship to the time of day.

JimboZA:
You might need some kind time of timing too- perhaps look at Real Time Clock (RTC) chips like the DS1307 and others, for which there are lots of code and libraries.

Without an RTC, Arduino timing is simply a number of seconds since power-up or reset, which bears no relationship to the time of day.

Thanks. A Real Time Clock keeps track of time, but how can you use it to activate a motor at a certain time?

A Real Time Clock keeps track of time, but how can you use it to activate a motor at a certain time?

In loop() you read the time from the RTC and compare that time to your target time, in exactly the way you would look at the wall clock every now and then and see if it's time to feed the dog manually.