automatic over head tank filling system

hello experts

In some cities of India there is shortage of water. So the time of water supply changes every time. so I am thinking of making automatic tank filling system which is using 230v water pump (controlled using relay).so is there any way that my Arduino detect the water in main pipeline is coming or not using some kind of sensor and so it can send the signal back to Arduino to turn the relay of motor on and off.

there are many water sensors. two electrodes, measure resistance.
google water sensor arduino

Yeah I know but the problem is I want to detect that water in pipeline is coming or not. am I going to put water level sensor in pipe ?

Mains supply of sufficient quantity to pump should have some amount of pressure associated with it.
However, why then would one need to pump it.

bluejets:
Mains supply of sufficient quantity to pump should have some amount of pressure associated with it.
However, why then would one need to pump it.

I had seen the pressure it not enuf to fill the tank situated on height

Is there some kind of sensor to know the flow of water in pipe so it can send sigNAL to Arduino to open my relay and close the Relay when water flow goes below particular level

Will your pump run dry without damage?

If so you could run your pump for a short period and check if there is any water (or water pressure) on the output side. If there is nothing, switch the pump off and try again later.

...R

Robin2:
Will your pump run dry without damage?

If so you could run your pump for a short period and check if there is any water (or water pressure) on the output side. If there is nothing, switch the pump off and try again later.

...R

No If I run it in dry then it will get damaged

Better then to fill a ground level tank with mains and pump up from there.

bluejets:
Better then to fill a ground level tank with mains and pump up from there.

yup that will be good idea I should build a big ground level tank which will get me sufficient pressure for drip irrigation .i was thinking to get some good water level sensor and solenoid valve so I can keep the level of tank up for pressure of water to my crops .

Thank you for helping

You are getting close to asking the correct beginning question. That is: how can I be sure the upper tank is full? If it is not full, then, ask is there water available in the lower tank? If so, fill the upper tank using the pump. Stopping if either the upper tank is full or the lower tank is empty.

A separate question is: is the lower tank full? If not, is there water in the pipe? If there is water in the pipe, open that valve and fill the lower tank. If no water in the pipe, wait till there is water in the pipe.

Do not ever pump water directly from the pipe. That will cause a vacuum and let impure water leak into the pipe.

Separate the upper tank solution from the lower tank solution and you will have a viable program.

Paul

If you have a ground level tank and a higher tank, surely you don't need an Arduino, and you don't need to know if there is any water flowing in the pipe either. If there isn't, there is nothing you can do about it.

Perhaps you can get by with

1. a float valve in the ground tank to close the pipe in the unlikely event that the ground tank is full. $10

2. a float switch to shut off the pump when the upper tank is full. $1

3. a float switch to shut off the pump when the ground tank is too low. $1

You might want on and off switches in the upper tank to stop chatter. I assume this is a local gravity pressure community system using a small capacity pump.

Nick_Pyner:
If you have a ground level tank and a higher tank, surely you don't need an Arduino, and you don't need to know if there is any water flowing in the pipe either. If there isn't, there is nothing you can do about it.

Perhaps you can get by with

1. a float valve in the ground tank to close the pipe in the unlikely event that the ground tank is full. $10

2. a float switch to shut off the pump when the upper tank is full. $1

3. a float switch to shut off the pump when the ground tank is too low. $1

You might want on and off switches in the upper tank to stop chatter. I assume this is a local gravity pressure community system using a small capacity pump.

Correct, Nick.

That is my irrigation system. 650 ft. well is my bottom tank. 1,000 gallon upper tank. Float valve in tank opens valve from well if tank is low. Shuts off when tank is full. Second switch in tank was necessary to stop overflow when float valve stuck.

Irrigation pump pulls water from tank for irrigation system at a rate less than the tank filling rate, so tank can fill while irrigation pump is running.

No Arduino necessary. All 120 volt solenoid valves, an over/under pressure switch for safety, and a clock/timer to stop irrigation pump after X hours.

An Arduino just complicates a bisic simple system.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Correct, Nick.

That is my irrigation system. 650 ft. well is my bottom tank. 1,000 gallon upper tank. Float valve in tank opens valve from well if tank is low. Shuts off when tank is full. Second switch in tank was necessary to stop overflow when float valve stuck.

Irrigation pump pulls water from tank for irrigation system at a rate less than the tank filling rate, so tank can fill while irrigation pump is running.

No Arduino necessary. All 120 volt solenoid valves, an over/under pressure switch for safety, and a clock/timer to stop irrigation pump after X hours.

An Arduino just complicates a bisic simple system.

Paul

I was thinking to use water level sensor and solenoid valve to fill low level tank . When tank is fulled the solenoid valve get off and when water goes below particular level solenoid turn on. As I am using Arduino for irrigation solenoid so why don't I use it for automatic filling tank

Arduino would be handy if you decided to go with probe level sensors.

bluejets:
Arduino would be handy if you decided to go with probe level sensors.

Any other sensors ? Probe level is very bulky so I am looking for something that stick on my top level of tank

Sorry, I am not a expert.
But I think your goal is making automatic pump system, your current concern about correct input data,
when and how get the input data.

So any data collecting need special conditions.
I don't know how to imagine your conditions.

May I ask you to upload any images about input conditions to show forum guests, it will be help me to continue more details about your automatic system. Thanks.

Don't know what you mean by bulky, it's just water exposure to the end of a small stainless probe mounted on an insulator..

Rubix-Arduino:
Sorry, I am not a expert.
But I think your goal is making automatic pump system, your current concern about correct input data,
when and how get the input data.

So any data collecting need special conditions.
I don't know how to imagine your conditions.

May I ask you to upload any images about input conditions to show forum guests, it will be help me to continue more details about your automatic system. Thanks.

Actually I drop out that idea of over head tank which required pump. So now I am asking to fill my ground level tank using water sensors and solenoid valve

let's get the basic idea first.

you have a water source that is variable. sometimes water is available, sometimes not.
no mention if it is pressurized or if the pipe runs dry.

the simplest is to have the ground level tank fill with a toilet fill valve. done.

======================================

with a water sensor ( as mentioned in post #2) you can determine if water is present.
two wires, separated by an inch can be a resistance sensor. almost zero cost.
a ball on the end of a rod could float. the rod could have washers on it that trips a switch. all outside of the water.

if you can put a lower level tank in, lower than the source, you can pipe that to your cistern.
then put a pump in that cistern. the cistern will only have water when it is available..
you only need one sensor (float switch) to tell when the cistern has water.

then you have a float switch in the larger tank to indicate when it is full. you could have many switches, all tied together as as a voltage divider and use them as one analog in.

then, only when the upper tank needs water, and the lower thank has water, will the pump work.

you only need a few switches to wire up the pump.

for health reasons, you should have a backflow preventer so your water is not pulled back into the supply.