I am a Mech Engineer Turned Photographer and now an avid electronics hobbyist with a lot of ideas that I plan to put to action. I have never been as excited as I am now with the vast ocean of opportunities that Arduino has to offer. Just bought myself an Atmega 2560 after winning an Intel Edison at the Intel IOT Roadshow. With all this and another 200 dollars worth of purchases I am all set to build some new gadgets that simplify our lives.
Coming to the point. Here is -
Project No 1 - Automatic Product Photography Rig
Being in the e-commerce Photography field I have quite much mastered the skill of shooting white background shots of products. This involves getting various angles of products using studio lights and manual movement of the product to various of these angles. My goal is to achieve consistency and speed in the images that we shoot and then prototype this for bigger shooting models.
What I have with me:
Stepper Motor from a Copier Machine (XEROX) with 6 leads.
Stepper Motor Driver VNH2SP30
Servo Motor with 6kgcm torque
2 Amp - 5-12 V Power Adaptor
USB Cable to connect the chip
Some Sensors which include the HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Sensor
Disc to Mount on the Motor
Songle 2 switch relay
What the completed system should be able to do.
Using all the above components I wish to make a rotatable base on which a product can be placed.The placement of the product will be recognized by the system using a HC SR 04 Ultrasonic Sensor or an LDR whichever is suitable and is placed below the rotatable base or suitably depending on how it would best recognize an object on the rotatable base. This sensor will trigger a series of actions which involve:
- Object Placed Successfully appears on the TFT
- Triggers the front camera for a front angle shot
- The Stepper motor rotates by 90 Degrees
- Triggers the front camera for a side angle shot
- The stepper motor rotates by 90 Degrees
- Triggers the front camera for a back shot
- Triggers the top camera for a top shot
- Stepper Motor moves the disc back to home position
- “Place the next Product” appears on the TFT Screen
and this loops over
I will have two SLR cameras and a set of lights which are all connected externally.I also have a wireless trigger system which basically consists of a simple switch which gets actuated to have the camera fire. To actuate this I am using a relay which will be connected to the Wireless trigger system and will be software or code controlled at a specific interval.
- What I am looking for is how to put all this code together and which libraries to use?
- What are the connections to be made.
- Should I couple the rotatable disc directly to the motor or through a geared mechanism?
- Upgraded functionality such as being able to get more angles using a specific sub program/ subroutine with a set of different angles instructions that appear on the TFT screen.
- Options to upload all these images to a cloud directly using my intel Edison and the breakout board which comes with a Wifi Module.
Any help would be highly appreciated. I’d love to share the finished product with all of you showing you the capabilities.
Arvind all the way from India.