Automatic reset circuit

How would one create a external circuit that would reset an Arduino Nano every 5-10min?

Use another Arduino to generate reset pulse.

Without an external controller.

What the point? The cheapest and simplest way to generate a pulse with that rate is to use a small micro. Also the are some variations of 555 timer with embedded counters, but they are rare and more expensive than a cheap micro.

I remember many years ago making a sawtooth generator from a quad CMOS gate, it took 5 minutes to charge a cap to 1/2 VDD then produced a 50 ms low pulse that blinked an LED, but it's long faded from memory. Try Googling the old Forest Mims' Engineer's Notebooks.

You could build a circuit using a 4541 programmable timer.

This has an RC oscillator, then a programmable frequency divider, so you don't need to use components with a really long time constant to get your 5 minute period.

This is at the outset, a very bizarre request.

If you feel the need to reset an Arduino every ten minutes, it is virtually certain that you are doing something badly wrong.

The XY problem yet again!

Ardunaut: Hi

Use a digital pin and connect it to reset pin. Drive it LOW for reset.

although I'm not clear as to the WHY...

this was my first reaction/thought as well...

jcallen: I remember many years ago making a sawtooth generator from a quad CMOS gate, it took 5 minutes to charge a cap to 1/2 VDD then produced a 50 ms low pulse that blinked an LED, but it's long faded from memory. Try Googling the old Forest Mims' Engineer's Notebooks.

Many thanks for your answer.

xl97: although I'm not clear as to the WHY...

this was my first reaction/thought as well...

Paul__B: This is at the outset, a very bizarre request.

If you feel the need to reset an Arduino every ten minutes, it is virtually certain that you are doing something badly wrong.

The XY problem yet again!

Why? I asked this because sometimes some of my RF24Mesh nodes just freeze, requiring a reset, I was looking for a temporary solution to that problem as I do not know how to fix the code myself. If you do, please feel free to fix it on github.