i have played a little with arduino before, so i understand basic concepts of arduino programming.
lets get to the point :
basically i want to create something like in this video:
Automatic Swing Door Opener
basically what i need is (please correct me if i'm wrong, newbie here ) :
- something like a motor (or servo) that can be controlled with arduino
- some kind of "metal holder" that connects the motor to the door
- arduino board
my question is:
- how much torque and rpm i need for the motor/servo?
(the weight of the door that i want to be opened is 15-20kg i think)
- any better ideas for the "metal holder" alternative?
- is something like this is possible?
- Lots. Lots and lots.
- More metal?
This requires a motor with a significant amount of power. You will need a motor control board to allow the Arduino to control that power. Something like Sparkfun Mega Motor Shield has enough power. But that particiular board is limited to 12-16v and then you need to consider how to get that amount of power at that voltage.
This looks a lot like a servo. There are tutorials online on how to use a big motor as a servo. Let us know what you find.
the motor moves a rack or screw, it does not move the shaft directly. high speed DC motor, lots of gears.
probably a spring close.
don't forget a clutch to allow emergency open and close.