Automatically Change Audio Inputs When One Source is Recieving a Signal

I'm fairly experienced at programming, but new to micro controllers and using other hardware.

I'm about to install a new radio, and a police scanner in my truck. I want to set up a Arduino so that it plays the radio by default, but whenever the scanner picks up the signal it switches the speakers to that signal, till the signal is over. Basically a 3 pin switch that is thrown and reset at the start and end of the scanner's message.

I'm not sure about how to do this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was already done. I looked through the projects for a while, but couldn't find anything.

Is this a reasonable thing to do? Or is there a simpler option that I'm missing?

Nurox:
I'm fairly experienced at programming, but new to micro controllers and using other hardware.

I'm about to install a new radio, and a police scanner in my truck. I want to set up a Arduino so that it plays the radio by default, but whenever the scanner picks up the signal it switches the speakers to that signal, till the signal is over. Basically a 3 pin switch that is thrown and reset at the start and end of the scanner's message.

I'm not sure about how to do this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was already done. I looked through the projects for a while, but couldn't find anything.

Is this a reasonable thing to do? Or is there a simpler option that I'm missing?

Could be possible. What speakers? Does your truck have it's own sound system? If so, how many inputs are there and are they all being used? Does your scanner have a squelch? Is the signal available as an output? If not, you will have to make it available for the Arduino to monitor.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Could be possible. What speakers? Does your truck have it's own sound system? If so, how many inputs are there and are they all being used? Does your scanner have a squelch? Is the signal available as an output? If not, you will have to make it available for the Arduino to monitor.

Paul

They're the stock speakers currently, though I am thinking about replacing them if I'm already taking my truck apart this much.

The only sound system in the truck is the radio I'm about to pull out. I don't plan on adding a amp or anything.

The scanner does have a squelch, it's (probably) going to be a uniden BC3355N. That said, I haven't ordered any hardware yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Is the signal available as an output?", but there is a external speaker plug in the rear panel. That's what I assume you mean.

Nurox:
They're the stock speakers currently, though I am thinking about replacing them if I'm already taking my truck apart this much.

The only sound system in the truck is the radio I'm about to pull out. I don't plan on adding a amp or anything.

The scanner does have a squelch, it's (probably) going to be a uniden BC3355N. That said, I haven't ordered any hardware yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Is the signal available as an output?", but there is a external speaker plug in the rear panel. That's what I assume you mean.

I mean "is the squelch signal available as an out put on the radio", so it can control your proposed project.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
I mean "is the squelch signal available as an out put on the radio", so it can control your proposed project.

Paul

I believe that would be the external speaker plug. That's where you would plug in speakers, and would carry the audio signal I want to pass to my speakers. The only other ports on the rear panel are one for an antenna input, and the power plug.

The you will need to do some modification to the scanner to bring the squelch out to a connector so the Arduino can watch it and know when to switch your audio.

Just watching the speaker output will mean switching the audio between every word or audio sound, including noise.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
The you will need to do some modification to the scanner to bring the squelch out to a connector so the Arduino can watch it and know when to switch your audio.

Just watching the speaker output will mean switching the audio between every word or audio sound, including noise.

Paul

True... Or I could just add a 1 second delay to the switch back. Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?

After all this discussion, I am surprised you still think you need an Arduino in your project! Do you not realize a relay and some simple electronics will do what you want? A DPDT relay, a single transistor turned on/off by the rectified speaker output of your scanner.

Paul