Automotive cruise control

Hi there! This is my first post here. I am using Arduino for a year now, 98% of that time as an fuel consumption meter (MPGuino)

I know these little boards can do wonders, so I would like to build a cruise control for my car.

but there is a problem - I suck at programming :(

I dont need any super duper memory functions, just need to keep the speed constant without touching the pedal.

I tried to do such primitive unit with a frequency to voltage converter and a servo controller with voltage input. the idea was - tachometer signal in freq to volt converter and then to the servo which is connecter to accelerator. that didnt work out as I planed :(

Now for the Arduinp stuff: I am sure this little board can do it! car uses drive by wire system (lexus is200) so the main idea is to simulate accelerator position sensor data, while arduino ''listens'' to tach or speedo signal.

maybe someone has done this already? thanks

This would be a very demanding application for an Arduino and has HUGH safety issues. I would rather you rethink this project then to give help towards it. It's fine when using an Arduino for auto applications where you are just reading and displaying things, or flashing cool leds or something. But when you want to progress to things that output or control the auto, that's a whole different animal. Doing your own anti-lock braking, speed control, auto shifting, etc is a bad idea, it's best to leave that to the original manufacture or maybe commercial 3rd party suppliers of such systems.

Lefty

it's best to leave that to the original manufacture or maybe commercial 3rd party suppliers of such systems.

Imagine you have something wrong, and your car goes out of control (stuck accelleration, say), and you hit someone/something. You auto insurance is definitely not going to pay out if it was due to a user made modification. Even if it were a 3rd-party add-on, I can see them fighting this...

I agree with lefty wrt the safety, but as a project you could try to make a robotcar with cruise control and all the safety precautions needed. You might use a gameconsole steer and pedal ...

(almost) Equal fun and far less risky.